Fixing leaky connections

Jun 29, 2009
I have 2 different leaks - one on the pipe that connections to the return from the filter and then the 2nd leak is at the nut that tightens the return outlet to the pool. Has leaked last year and now there is rust starting on the outside wall of the pool. Would like to fix but not sure how. Have taken out the outlet and replace the gaskets and put the white tape around the threads before tightening again. Have tightened as much as I can but it still leaks! These are just screw in plastic pipes.

Does anyone have any tips, tricks or thoughts on how to get connections that don't leak?
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

justmekhl - syracuse NY
28' AG pool

I was going to suggest the white teflon tape. Maybe try more? The return is in a couple sections, maybe tape each section?

On there filter to the return - mine leaks there too. They put this epoxy stuff on at the install and over time it has cracked. Not sure what to advise.

clear silicone caulk/sealer helps a great deal. We use it around our gaskets on the return and skimmer.

Did you repplace the outlet or just the gaskets?
If just the gaskets, then the fitting may be cracked. Teflon tape won't help on the jamb nut. In fact it may hinder tightening it correctly.

Marine Silicone caulking will help on the threaded pipe and fittings. Be sure to let it cure for at least 24hrs before subjecting it to pressure.

I replaced the outlet and the gaskets. The outlet had a crack in it. Now that I have a new outlet and gasket set installed it stills leaks. The marine silicone that you are suggesting, if I apply it does it make a permanent connection that I won't be able to later get apart?

Thanks for everyone's help!!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.