Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It's official. I am cursed.

1. Back To Top    #1

It's official. I am cursed.

Since I had my first ever pool installed last season, my pool barely reached 75F for only about 2 weeks time in early July. Last summer was cool and extremly rainy. I must have drained my pool 5 times during the months of June, July, and Aug. I battled Algae all season...

This pool season thus far is even worse. Here in New Hampshire, it's been consistantly rain/drizzle for over a month and a half straight. The average ambiest air temps are running 10-15F below normal!!!! My pool temp is struggling to get above 65F. I have had to drain my pool thus far 3 times. This is just pathetic

At least I can comment one positive note, I learned a LOT about how to keep my water quality balanced, and although my water temp is 65F, my water is crystall clear, and very clost to ideal balance! Sorry for the vent, but I am just soo friggin' aggravated after the HUGE $$ investment, and this is what I am facing AGAIN after a crappy previous pool season...
    "To be old and wise, you must have been young and stupid"

18X33 Aquasphere buttress AG pool
    Pentair SD60 sand filter/1 hp pump/ Pool Frog
    Polaris 65 super turtle

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: It's official. I am cursed.

Sorry to hear albout all the problems you are having.

What are your water test results?

Lots of members here would let you know exactly what to add to your water to prevent you from having to drain all your water.

Hang in there.
    12500 AGP 2HP Sand filter
    Five years on BBB & loving it!

3. Back To Top    #3

I think Polar_Bus is draining water due to the rain adding water to his pool.
    He says "my water is crystall clear, and very clost to ideal balance!"
    20'x40' / 30,000 Gal / In Ground / Vinyl
    Pentair FNS 48 DE Filter / Pentair Challenger 1.5 HP Pump
    Jandy Lite2 400k BTU Propane Heater / Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    TF-100 Test Kit / BBB
    Creator of SimplePool (BBB Friendly Android App) http://www.simplepool.net

4. Back To Top    #4

I understand your frustration. I opened in Mid April, and then the weather was so lousy we didn't swim until after Memorial Day.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by Polar_Bus
    Since I had my first ever pool installed last season, my pool barely reached 75F for only about 2 weeks time in early July. Last summer was cool and extremly rainy. I must have drained my pool 5 times during the months of June, July, and Aug. I battled Algae all season...

This pool season thus far is even worse. Here in New Hampshire, it's been consistantly rain/drizzle for over a month and a half straight. The average ambiest air temps are running 10-15F below normal!!!! My pool temp is struggling to get above 65F. I have had to drain my pool thus far 3 times. This is just pathetic

At least I can comment one positive note, I learned a LOT about how to keep my water quality balanced, and although my water temp is 65F, my water is crystall clear, and very clost to ideal balance! Sorry for the vent, but I am just soo friggin' aggravated after the HUGE $$ investment, and this is what I am facing AGAIN after a crappy previous pool season...

LOL im with you.. I also live in NH (Concord Area) and covered and shut my pool down. Every few days to a week I run the pump on high and add more Shock to it and let it run for about 10 hours and off it goes again. I figured I rather labor on cleaning it once it gets warm around here compared to a high electric bill / propane bill for not even using the pool. Pool still is Crystal clear and according to the Weather forecast, its rain for another 4 or 5 days and highs only around mid 70's TOPS.
    17000 Gallons (16x32) Vinyl In Ground Pool
    Sand Filter
    Install "Finish Date" July 30 2014"
    Propane heater installed.. Used for 1 day.
    City Water.

6. Back To Top    #6

I have been in my pool once...and other than that I have only been in to vacuume the stupid thing. We have had much the same weather...The only warm weather we have had...I was on vacation in Northern Wisconsin.
    Beave
    Aqua Leader 24ft Round AG Wil-Bar Influence w/54 inch walls 13,500 gallons
    Swimline J-Blue Opal Liner, 1 4X20 Fafco Solar Bear Solar Heater
    Hayward 2 HP Swim Pro Voyager Pump Micro 150 with 4 way timer
    Swim Pro Voyager Filtration System with Hayward ABS Pearl wide mouth skimmer

7. Back To Top    #7

Ditto... I've been in our pool twice so far this season, each time for about 1-2 minutes - and then needed ten minutes in a hot shower...

Gooserider
    Free-form Inground gunnite pool, Estimated 16-17K gallons. New Pentair TR60 ClearPro 24" sand filter and Compupool CPSC-48 SWG, Hayward SP1607X10 Pump w/ 1HP motor, 1.5" plumbing, Polaris Pressure cleaner w/ booster pump. pool is more than 25 yrs old, less than 35. Not painted, deteriorating tile surround. I am paraplegic, get in/out of pool w/ S.R. SMITH PAL portable pool lift (significantly modified)

8. Back To Top    #8

We don't have that problem here in SC. It is currently 99 outside (according to the computer). Our water temp is about 87. For everyone where summer is dragging it's heels to get there: I hope it gets there soon for you. Later, Calvin.
    15 x 26 Sharkline
    2.5 HP Dual Speed Pump
    200 Sq. Ft. cartridge filter

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Crazycalvin
    We don't have that problem here in SC. It is currently 99 outside (according to the computer). Our water temp is about 87. For everyone where summer is dragging it's heels to get there: I hope it gets there soon for you. Later, Calvin.
    Calvin...Can we bring our pools to your house...ya got room? I need to swim...
    Beave
    Aqua Leader 24ft Round AG Wil-Bar Influence w/54 inch walls 13,500 gallons
    Swimline J-Blue Opal Liner, 1 4X20 Fafco Solar Bear Solar Heater
    Hayward 2 HP Swim Pro Voyager Pump Micro 150 with 4 way timer
    Swim Pro Voyager Filtration System with Hayward ABS Pearl wide mouth skimmer

10. Back To Top    #10

63, 2 inches of rain today, more tomorrow. Summer will never get here I'm afraid. Been weird June. Only had 6 days of full sun this month with no rain. July has to be better, but not starting out that way today! I'm just south of worcester, mass.

11. Back To Top    #11

We have had a cold front move through North Texas. It has been in the low triple digits, but today it is 99 degrees. Should be back to triple digits tomorrow. Water temp has been low to mid 90's during the day.
    10k gallon, round, vinyl AG; 2HP pump; Pro Clean 125 sq ft cartridge | Baqua to Chlorine Convert
    Helpful links: Pool School | The Pool Calculator | Recommended Levels | CYA/Chlorine Chart

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by cubbybeave08
    Calvin...Can we bring our pools to your house...ya got room? I need to swim...
    Bring it on! We can have a giant pool party! Later, Calvin.
    15 x 26 Sharkline
    2.5 HP Dual Speed Pump
    200 Sq. Ft. cartridge filter

13. Back To Top    #13

Right there with ya! We live in the Monadnock region. This really stinks. I think they are reclassifying New England as a temperate rain forest! I did some draining a week or so ago, brought it down a bit too much I thought at the time. Filled right back up again. The ferns, however, in the woods are doing marvelously.
    Andrew
    25,000 gal IG Vinyl - PoolPilot SC48 SWG - Sta-Rite 1HP/System3 CF - AquaCal HeatPump - TF-100

14. Back To Top    #14

Try some wetsuits and snorkeling equipment. Being in Detroit, I have the same weather as frustrated. Spent 10 straight weeks bareback getting a tan while doing landscaping projects starting March, 15. Opened the pool Memorial Day at 59 degrees and waited for the solar pannels to heat things up. Made it to 84 for the two days that the sun was out, and now approaching July 4th, back down to 76. Weird, this is the first summer I am spending inside on the lazyboy with a blanket. At least I did not have a tramp in my pool. lol
    12 X 24 above ground Doughboy, burried 2 foot inground.
    Hayward 1 hp pump
    Hayward 300 lb. sand filter
    Pump and filter located 30 ft. away from pool with 1 1/2 in. pvc plumbing.
    Future plans:
    deck built abound two sides
    ground level patio/walkway around other two sides
    2 X 20 ft. solar panel heater.

15. Back To Top    #15

Same yucky spring here in the hills of WV. I spent a week doing a baquicil to bleach conversion towards the end of May and couldn't have asked for better weather. Now that my pool is gorgeous and sparkily, it has rained everyday since thien and the weather has dipped back into the low 70's...blah..the only enjoyment I'm getting out of it right now is looking at how clear it is staying, even with all of the rain! I do brave the cooler temps on the weekend to get in and vacuum it out. So here we go, a new month and more rain ...lol...I might just have to invest in a heater so I can swim until November to make up for lost time...lol
    24 x 52 Round AG Outback Empire Pool 13,500 gal.
    1 HP Hayward Power-Flo pump w/Hayward 18" 150lb. sand filter
    TF-100 test kit & SpeedStir
    Wanda the Whale Vacuum

16. Back To Top    #16

Calvin, I am also in Irmo. The water here has been bath water warm. Today it was cooler, and I even got chilled when I got out of the pool. We have had beautiful weather here for quite a while.
    Sallie
    25 K gal., vinyl IG, Hayward 3/4 hp pump, Hayward Pro Series S-220T 18" sand filter, full sun all day, no main drain - Columbia, SC

17. Back To Top    #17

Ok The weather has been pretty miserable in NY as well, but the pool has been 75-80 for the past two weeks...an investment in a solar cover to prevent nightly heat loss and the one solar bear panel, has been the best money ever spent...kids have been swimming ever day, even in the rain...other than during the 4pm t-storm we have been having every day....I'm begining to think we could set our clocks by them, they have been so consistent
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

18. Back To Top    #18

Edited for language. Butterfly

As much as I wish warm temps and sun on all of you fellow pool owners, I am GLAD I am not the only one moaning about ongoing miserable rainy cool weather!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    "To be old and wise, you must have been young and stupid"

18X33 Aquasphere buttress AG pool
    Pentair SD60 sand filter/1 hp pump/ Pool Frog
    Polaris 65 super turtle

19. Back To Top    #19

Today we will use our pool for the second time this season so I know exactly what you are talking about. Get a solar blanket. I keep my solar blanket on throughout the work week and it keeps my temperatures in the sweet zone.

Update:
    My water temperate was 83 degrees today.
    Above Ground, 8,000 gallons, Hayward DE bump filter, Vinyl

20. Back To Top    #20

I still haven't swam in our pool. FINALLY got the solar heater back up and running(this morning) after everything blew off the roof last fall.

Water is 78* and climbing!! Only one that's been in the pool is the dog.

Adam
    18' x 42" Intex Easyset Pool, with 16' x 52" deep end in the middle. Approx. 5500 Gal.
    Hayward Power-Flo LX 1 HP, 100# Jacuzzi Brand Sand Filter(Piped underground so it looks nice) 8)
    3 - 2' x 20' Solar Pool Heater Panels(roof mounted)
    Goin' on 9 summers...NOBODY thought it would last this long.
    Buried Portable Spa sharing pumps and water with pool (Almost complete project)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast