At what point is it safe to swim after MA Shock?

Mar 21, 2008
Roseville,Ca
I can't find this anywhere. Maybe I do not search well but, at what level is my chlorine safe to swim at after shocking. I am at 44 and would like to swim by Friday? Is that possible. Is there a way to "force" FC down?

Thank You TFP in advance.

What is your CYA?

Many of us would not hesitate to swim in FC levels up to the appropriate level for your CYA. Just wear an old suit!

I would. however, keep very young children or pets out - who might not understand not the drink the water.

raiderchuck said:
I can't find this anywhere. Maybe I do not search well but, at what level is my chlorine safe to swim at after shocking. I am at 44 and would like to swim by Friday? Is that possible. Is there a way to "force" FC down?

Thank You TFP in advance.

Refer to the CYA chart - anything below your "normal" shock level is safe. Leave the pool uncovered and it should drop rather quickly below that level. When you are at high FC levels you see a rather quick % drop as opposed to a normal 2-3 ppm. I would expect you to lose 50% of your level on a sunny day.

We normally don't recommend shocking to mustard-algae level - and often people think they have mustard algae and they don't...

I shocked to 44 last night and am at 30 now.But I was on my original R087 taylor reagent last night and today had to start with the one I ordered from TFP. It says I am at 30 now.I find that impossible because I was only loosing .5 per night before that? Also the reagent doesn't look the same.It is grey and white?My cya shock level for standard algae is 23 should I just hold it there when it reaches that?Here comes the sun #$%^$^ :(

Thank you about the MA shock.After sun all day I am now at 17. I am bringing back up to 23 for overnight. I checked and forgot to adjust my ph when I started.Is it okay to adjust it now.It still reads the same.

Ph 8.0
FC 17
CC .5
TA 80
CYA 80
CH 310

You should not try to adjust PH when the FC is above 10, high FC levels makes PH read a false high. If you want to make a small adjustment, to 7.8, that would be okay. I wouldn't go lower than 7.6 on your target for dosing, and risk it getting too low.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
raiderchuck said:
Thank you about the MA shock.After sun all day I am now at 17. I am bringing back up to 23 for overnight. I checked and forgot to adjust my ph when I started.Is it okay to adjust it now.It still reads the same.

Ph 8.0
FC 17
CC .5
TA 80
CYA 80
CH 310

With chlorine levels that high your PH test will be off. Ignore it until you get the chlorine level back down to less than 10.

You can then adjust your PH accurately and go back to shocking if needed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.