Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: At what point is it safe to swim after MA Shock?

1. Back To Top    #1

At what point is it safe to swim after MA Shock?

I can't find this anywhere. Maybe I do not search well but, at what level is my chlorine safe to swim at after shocking. I am at 44 and would like to swim by Friday? Is that possible. Is there a way to "force" FC down?

Thank You TFP in advance.
    10,500 gal Gunite,Imperial White River Rok,1.5hp Pentair Whisperflo,320sqft Clean & Clear,Intellichlor 40 SWG,EasyTouch w/Remote,Pentair Pool Shark Sweep(suction side),Jandy AE2000 Heat Pump & 8mil Solar Blanket,SAM Light,18in Caribean Shelf,6 & 4 ft Benches

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: At what point is it safe to swim after MA Shock?

What is your CYA?

Many of us would not hesitate to swim in FC levels up to the appropriate level for your CYA. Just wear an old suit!

I would. however, keep very young children or pets out - who might not understand not the drink the water.

8000 gallon 20' x 48" round vinyl frame pool, 12" sand filter (don't have the specs on the pump), TF100 test kit
    Handy Links: PoolMath, TF-100 Test Kit, Pool School, CYA-Chlorine Chart
    "Shock" is a process, not a product!

3. Back To Top    #3

there is a way but like mermaid said, some here swim up to shock level based on cya. do you have another thread? why were you shocking?
    but to answer your question, yes there is and they sell it at pool stores. I think it's called sodium thisfulate or something.
    http://www.lesliespool.com/browse/Home/ ... 30/I/14253
    16x32 21,000 gallon in-ground exposed aggregate, 1.5hp pump, 120 sqft catridge filter, birdcage, solar panels, aquavac tigershark qc robot.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by raiderchuck
    I can't find this anywhere. Maybe I do not search well but, at what level is my chlorine safe to swim at after shocking. I am at 44 and would like to swim by Friday? Is that possible. Is there a way to "force" FC down?

Thank You TFP in advance.
    Refer to the CYA chart - anything below your "normal" shock level is safe. Leave the pool uncovered and it should drop rather quickly below that level. When you are at high FC levels you see a rather quick % drop as opposed to a normal 2-3 ppm. I would expect you to lose 50% of your level on a sunny day.

We normally don't recommend shocking to mustard-algae level - and often people think they have mustard algae and they don't...
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

5. Back To Top    #5

I shocked to 44 last night and am at 30 now.But I was on my original R087 taylor reagent last night and today had to start with the one I ordered from TFP. It says I am at 30 now.I find that impossible because I was only loosing .5 per night before that? Also the reagent doesn't look the same.It is grey and white?My cya shock level for standard algae is 23 should I just hold it there when it reaches that?Here comes the sun #$%^$^
    10,500 gal Gunite,Imperial White River Rok,1.5hp Pentair Whisperflo,320sqft Clean & Clear,Intellichlor 40 SWG,EasyTouch w/Remote,Pentair Pool Shark Sweep(suction side),Jandy AE2000 Heat Pump & 8mil Solar Blanket,SAM Light,18in Caribean Shelf,6 & 4 ft Benches

6. Back To Top    #6

Thank you about the MA shock.After sun all day I am now at 17. I am bringing back up to 23 for overnight. I checked and forgot to adjust my ph when I started.Is it okay to adjust it now.It still reads the same.

Ph 8.0
    FC 17
    CC .5
    TA 80
    CYA 80
    CH 310

7. Back To Top    #7

You should not try to adjust PH when the FC is above 10, high FC levels makes PH read a false high. If you want to make a small adjustment, to 7.8, that would be okay. I wouldn't go lower than 7.6 on your target for dosing, and risk it getting too low.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

8. Back To Top    #8

Thank you TFP again for all your help.Shock held overnight. Sodium Thiosulfate put in so company can swim today.
    Does the neutralizer affect any other numbers?

Thank You

9. Back To Top    #9

It might affect the pH in ways that are mysterious. Let us know what happens in your situation.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

10. Back To Top    #10

Did not affect anything

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by raiderchuck
    Thank you about the MA shock.After sun all day I am now at 17. I am bringing back up to 23 for overnight. I checked and forgot to adjust my ph when I started.Is it okay to adjust it now.It still reads the same.

Ph 8.0
    FC 17
    CC .5
    TA 80
    CYA 80
    CH 310
    With chlorine levels that high your PH test will be off. Ignore it until you get the chlorine level back down to less than 10.

You can then adjust your PH accurately and go back to shocking if needed.