Can't keep Chlorine up

Jun 17, 2009
Morgan Hill, CA
This problem has lasted for the past year. Since I found this forum, and am trying the BBB for the first time I am hopeful that I can get control of this problem but right now I'm stymied.

The pool calculator has me adding lots of chlorine and borax, which I have been doing, but it doesn't seem to be making much of a difference. I'm also running 2 chlorine floaters which I'm keeping full of 3" tabs.

The real shock today was that I added 3 packs of shock compound and a 1.4Gal jug of 6% bleach and my FC readings are lower than yesterday.

Today's readings, using Leslie's FAS DPD kit: FC = 0.2, TC = 1 (CC then equals 0.8), PH = 7.0, Base Demand = 17 drops, Alk = 125, CH = 650, CYA = 200. Aside from the direction to replace 80% of my water (an unpopular concept with water rationing in effect) what can I do to bring my readings in line? Is the high CH and CYA levels the reason I can't keep chlorine?

Also, the Pool Calculator suggests reducing TA by dropping pH to 7.0 (already there) and then aerating to increase pH. Dumb question - how do I aerate?

Sure hope someone can help me figure out what's happening with my chlorine.

Thanks.

WOW! With a CYA of 200, you are going to have a TON of trouble keeping enough chlorine in your pool! Our chart here http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/chlorine_cya_chart_shock only goes to 100!!

Get the tabs out of your water now!!! They are only adding to your troubles. Tabs are stabilized chlorine. Stabilizer is CYA. Your CYA is already WAY too high. I am not yelling, just emphatic because this is the root of your problem!!

Secondly, the bags of 'shock' are also adding to your woes. Granular 'shock' is either dichlor (another stabilized chlorine adding to your already too high CYA) or Calcium Hypochlorite, which is adding to your already too high CH. (The high CH does not have an effect on your chlorine use, but it will cause other problems, especially if you cannot get your pH/TA in line.)

You need to switch to an unstabilized chlorine product. Liquid chlorine or 'shock' from the pool store or pool aisle, or plain ol' clorox bleach are the products we recommend here.

Sorry, but you really need to drain! :(

To Aerate your pool, use water features (fountain, spa) aim your returns to the surface, get a bunch of kids in there splashing like crazy.... Some have been creative in making PVC fountains or even using air compressors!

Not to sound redundant, but thats a pretty significant CYA level to combat, regardless of the amount of chlorine being added. Like Mermaid Queen indicated, your most likely going to have to drain your pool. I understand the water rationing issue since I lived in Orange County, CA for several years, but if you had to do a cost benefit analysis for a pool refill versus the costs of continued chlorine additions and other possible issues to come, the refill may be more conducive.

Sorry to say, but you really need to do a drain/refill to lower your CYA. This is your primary problem.

CYA tested at 200 may or may not be an accurate reading.

Forget about your TA for now. It is fine.

If you could get your CYA down to something like 70 it would be a little higher than recommended, but something that you could work with.

As TMQ said, using stabilized chlorine sources (& those containing calcium) are only hurting. Use only liquid chlorine/bleach.

OK, thanks to all. Of all the things that are out of balance, I just wasn't sure (until now) what the biggest problem was.

Tabs are coming out, no more bags of shock.

I'm going to rig an emitter that attaches to the pool sweep fitting that will send a stream skyward to help with the aeration.

Q - When draining the pool, is it OK to use the water to distribute to my thirsty landscaping?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.