using fas-dpd for first time is this ok?

May 17, 2009
Jasper, TN
Using the fas-dpd and CYA test from tftestkits and PH and Alk from another kit, I get:

FC = 2.5
CC = 0
CYA = 45
ALK = 90
PH = 7.6 (non tftestkit, reading color chart it's 7.6 to 7.8 at the most).

I could not get the full tftestkit right now so I bought the tests and used the instructions from their website. So once I got a FC of 2.5 (5 drops), I added 5 drops of R-0003 (swirling between drops) and there was no color change. So I take that to mean there are 0 CC's?

Ok, thanks for the replies.

Just needing to make sure the pool is perfect for the weekend.

If CC is 0 does that mean chlorine shouldn't fall at night?

I know a check in the evening and the next morning is the way to check that, but just wanting to understand more of the background processes.

No. A 0 CC reading is good but doesn't have any bearing on whether the chlorine will drop at night. Hopefully yours held?

So you got 2.5, and you should have at least 4 at all times (as Jason advised). You should have added enough bleach to reach 6 or 7, which should keep you above 4 until the next night when you test again. Make sense?

yes I've read the pool school, but when you actually get your hands on something for the first time it still gets a little confusing. i've been testing since day one but not with fas-dpd so just a little different process than I been using.

I didn't add any more bleach last night since it was dark, but this morning at around 7am it took 5 drops to turn clear so it held at 2.5 all night. I then bumped it up afterwards.

Btw, will the amount of fas-dpd crystals affect the accuracy of the test? The instructions say a heaping scoop of crystals (using the blue scoop)... but a heaping scoop is not very precise. The scoop is so small it doesn't seem possible to have a rounded scoop full but a heaping pile that covers the flat area of the scoop too. So how 'off' will a test be if the 'heaping' scoop is a little more than intended?

rastoma said:
yes I've read the pool school, but when you actually get your hands on something for the first time it still gets a little confusing. i've been testing since day one but not with fas-dpd so just a little different process than I been using.

I didn't add any more bleach last night since it was dark, but this morning at around 7am it took 5 drops to turn clear so it held at 2.5 all night. I then bumped it up afterwards.

Btw, will the amount of fas-dpd crystals affect the accuracy of the test? The instructions say a heaping scoop of crystals (using the blue scoop)... but a heaping scoop is not very precise. The scoop is so small it doesn't seem possible to have a rounded scoop full but a heaping pile that covers the flat area of the scoop too. So how 'off' will a test be if the 'heaping' scoop is a little more than intended?

I believe as long as it turns red and stays red you are fine. I do not believe it has much effect as long as it is red.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.