GOT MY KIT... Tested my water... HELP!!

Medic:

Welcome to TFP! You have no CYA or chlorine, which is understandable. Is your water green, cloudy or clear? You will need to increase your CYA to 30 to start, but slowly bring up to the recommended levels for a fiberglass pool. Do not bother testing for a week as it will not register on the test. Please advise on water clarity.

You will need to pick up some bleach, small box of baking soda, dry acid or muriatic acid (to lower the PH), calcium chlorine and stabilizer.

Plug in everything into pool math to determine how much you will need to increase levels based on recommendations.

Pool School - Recommended Levels

http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

The stabilizer will need to hang in front of a return. Please tell us when you have everything.

Good job on the test kit!
If that is a puck filled chlorinator you about to add. Return it.

You need to lower your pH with acid. Use PoolMath to does to 7.2, and retest. Repeat until you get to 7.2.
Place enough CYA powder in a sock to get to CYA of 30, hang in front of a return to dissolve. Test after a few days, then add about 10 ppm every few days until you get to 50.
Dose with bleach 8.25% enough to get to an FC that is 10% of your CYA (assume the 30 CYA you added above is in the water). You will need to do that daily.

I assume you have no algae? You should do an OCLT to check.

Read Pool School, will give more detail on what I just wrote.

Take care.

What does the water look like? Did you have CYA in the water last year? Is this a new fill?

You need to lower the pH, that is for sure.
And get some FC in the water

- - - Updated - - -

Looked at your other thread about your pool.

Lower the pH to the lower 7s, then
Before adding any CYA, I recommend you add 10ppm of FC with bleach and then test the FC and CC after 10 minutes and report back.

Thanks for the recommendations and replies...

The POOL... Green Green Green with some floating algae...

Okay... so after reading a lot on the site I am going to return that chlorinator *CHA-CHING* ... dont need the extra calcium in the pool. Haha...

I'll go to either Lowes or Home Depot and get Muriatic acid and a box of baking soda...

I bought 10 gallons of 10% chlorine the other day....Poised and ready to give me a crystal clear pool experience. . .

Calcium Chlorine?? and isnt the stabilizer CYA?? If so any recommendations

THANKS in advance

What does the water look like? Did you have CYA in the water last year? Is this a new fill?

You need to lower the pH, that is for sure.
And get some FC in the water

- - - Updated - - -

Looked at your other thread about your pool.

Lower the pH to the lower 7s, then
Before adding any CYA, I recommend you add 10ppm of FC with bleach and then test the FC and CC after 10 minutes and report back.
yeah last year was a debacle and I was clueless just dumping chemicals ppl suggested at leslies pool store. I made no headway because I got the pool clear but every time I got the water tested ot had no FC CC or CYA despite bags and bags of Leslies super shock in a 6K gallon pool.

You don't need baking soda. Your TA is fine. You'll just end up on the merry-go-round of adding acid to lower pH, then baking soda to raise pH, which will drive pH up over the next week or so and repeat.

If you are at Lowe's, take a gander at the pool chlorine. This time of year there should be some fresh pallets of the stuff.

Lowes sells CYA, too.

You don't need baking soda. Your TA is fine. You'll just end up on the merry-go-round of adding acid to lower pH, then baking soda to raise pH, which will drive pH up over the next week or so and repeat.

If you are at Lowe's, take a gander at the pool chlorine. This time of year there should be some fresh pallets of the stuff.

Lowes sells CYA, too.
Thanks... is it labled CYA in case when I get there and ask for it and the guy/gal says... "well... I thiiiiink"

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Get your ph down using muriatic acid like mcnaus suggested.

Add enough CYA in a sock by your return to get your level up to 30... It can take up to a week to fully dissolve in the water even when it's gone from the sock so it won't show on your test right away.

Start the SLAM process. Add chlorine to get up to 12 and maintain until you pass the OCLT. The reason I suggest the lower CYA to start is that it allows you a lower FC level (less chlorine=less cost). After you pass the OCLT you can adjust the CYA level to whatever you choose after reading pool school.

It sounds complicated but just take one step at a time and it's really not. Once you start to get a handle on it, it will all come together for you.

SLAM Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain
OCLT Pool School - Perform the Overnight FC Loss Test (OCLT)

Get your ph down using muriatic acid like mcnaus suggested.

Add enough CYA in a sock by your return to get your level up to 30... It can take up to a week to fully dissolve in the water even when it's gone from the sock so it won't show on your test right away.

Start the SLAM process. Add chlorine to get up to 12 and maintain until you pass the OCLT. The reason I suggest the lower CYA to start is that it allows you a lower FC level (less chlorine=less cost). After you pass the OCLT you can adjust the CYA level to whatever you choose after reading pool school.

It sounds complicated but just take one step at a time and it's really not. Once you start to get a handle on it, it will all come together for you.

SLAM Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain
OCLT Pool School - Perform the Overnight FC Loss Test (OCLT)
Thanks for the reply... So no liquid Muriatic Acid?? And, do I start the SLAM (Shock) now or wait until the CYA and pH comes down?? I have like 10 gallons of 10% ready to go ...

Read my replies before you add any cya. If you are home right now and don't have an ability to lower the ph and then I would do the FC and CC test like I suggested. If you are out and buying acid then when you go home lower the ph first and then do that test.

Thanks... is it labled CYA in case when I get there and ask for it and the guy/gal says... "well... I thiiiiink"
It may be called stabilizer. Read the ingredients. It'll say cyanuric acid or isocyanuric acid.

And Muriatic Acid comes as a liquid. Check the strengths. If the stuff by the pool supplies isn;t 31%, go look in the paint department ear all the solvents and check the strengths there. The low-odor or green stuff is diluted, yet full price.

Read my replies before you add any cya. If you are home right now and don't have an ability to lower the ph and then I would do the FC and CC test like I suggested. If you are out and buying acid then when you go home lower the ph first and then do that test.
Thanks ... Okay again sorry Im not at home so how do I get 10ppm ... is that on the pool school calculator page

Yes, muriatic acid to bring down you ph a bit.. 7.2-7.8 is normal. You can plug all of your pool info into the pool calculator and determine how much you need for your pool. You can change the % top so you can use whatever % that you find.

So ph first, then CYA to 30 for now. Sometimes it's labeled stabilizer.

Then start adding chlorine. The pool calculator will tell you the recommended shock level at the bottom of the page after you plug in all of your pool information and test values. At 30 CYA you will need to maintain 12 FC (free chlorine). Maintain that level by frequently adding chlorine, every few hours if you can. The better you maintain it, the faster your pool will clear. Chlorine comes in different percentages as well and the calculator lets you change that % so you know how much to add.

As you have your FC levels elevated, your ph test will not read correctly. That's ok. You got it in range before you started and it shouldn't change much throughout the process.

I've added a couple more links to get you where you need to go.

https://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

Yes, muriatic acid to bring down you ph a bit. You can plug your pool info into the pool calculator and determine how much can you need for your pool. You can change the % top so you can use whatever % that you find.

So ph first, then CYA. Sometimes it's labeled stabilizer.

Then start adding chlorine. The pool calculator will tell you the recommended shock level at the bottom of the page. Maintain that level by frequently adding chlorine. Chlorine comes in different percentages as well and the calculator lets you change that % so you know how much to add.

I've added a couple more links to get you where you need to go.

https://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html
Youre awesome thx!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.