Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Proper Water Circulation

1. Back To Top    #1

Proper Water Circulation

I have two returns the spa that overflows into the pool and then there are returns to the main pool. On the suction side I have a two spa drains, two main pool drains, a skimmer and a vacuum.

My question is, what is the best set up for circulation? I have it set now for the only return is the spa with water falling back into the main pool from the overflow. On the suction side I have the pool main drain and skimmer open. Is there a better setup?

Thanks
    South Florida. 20,000 gallons; 16x35 rectangular gunite; Pentair Intelliflo VF Variable Speed Pump; Hayward cartridge; Aqua Rite SWG. Dolphin Oasis Z5 Robotic Pool Cleaner; Kopec 540sc Electric Heat pump pool heater; Pool built in Spring 2004.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Proper Water Circulation

Welcome to TFP!!

Best circulation kind-O-depends on where the 2 pool returns are located. You certainly want to have water flowing into the pool (when you aren't in 'spa only' mode) and pointed in such a way as to move any surface debris towards the skimmer for removal. You are correct not to have the vacuum line open for normal circulation, nor the spa drain

Open up the pool returns and aim the directional 'eyeballs' for optimal circulation (which way to point them, again, will be determined by where they are in the pool and where the skimmer is )

Post pics of where the returns are and where the skimmer is and we'll help on the aiming of the eyeballs 8)
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)