Kinda pool related, but kinda not (Pool shed and critters)

Jun 18, 2007
Charleston, SC
So, we put our christmas stuff in the large shed in the back, which is also where we keep the pool toys.

I noticed the floor started looking like someone was having a party with confetti. Turns out, some kind of rodent is eating our boxes and has even eaten through some of the plastic rubbermaid containers.

So, without completely thinking this through, I put some poison pellets down in the shed. Moved the pool toys out so they didnt get eaten, and waited.

Well, I waited a bit too long. Its been a couple of weeks, I have the day off from work, and I decided I should go check on the shed and maybe clean it up.

I open the door and BLAM!, a smell that I can only describe as the nastiest pure f'ing disgusting Rear i have ever smelled comes rolling out.

So in my grand plan, i forgot that when the things were killed by the poison, they were probably going to die among our christmas stuff, and all over the floor. It looks like a squirrel graveyard in there. It smells WAY too nasty to clean out right now.

So, if anyone wants a free vacation in Charleston, SC, feel free to come clean out the shed. My wife is a great cook, and thanks to this site, we have a sparkling pool.

Any suggestions on how to tackle this without setting a couple of cans of febreeze on the floor and nailing them with a rifle?

Re: Kinda pool related, but kinda not (Pool shed and critter

Wolfmarsh said:
It looks like a squirrel graveyard in there.

My wife is a great cook.

Any suggestions on how to tackle this without setting a couple of cans of febreeze on the floor and nailing them with a rifle?

Looks like you answered your own question...

:)

Hah, sopranos style.

I did go out there with a respirator and a shovel and got the dead one I can see out. The maggots almost put me over the edge.

Now im letting it air out before I go in and start getting everything out.

I just hope our christmas stuff isnt ruined.

Ok, i struck back in the battle of the squirrels today. We cleaned the shed out, moved everything up to the new ceiling mounted storage racks i put up in the garage (after cleaning it all out).

I then stapled chicken wire over all of the roof eave openings on the inside of the shed.

My BBB skills came in handy also, I covered the entire floor with bleach to get rid of any organic squirrel remains and then hosed it out after a couple hours.

Take that you ******** (the squirrels).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My sympathies on the critter invasion, wolfmarsh! You did an excellent job dealing with a nasty situation.

Here, we have groundhogs (woodchucks, marmots) which dig under sheds, concrete steps, houses, and, yes, pools. My pool is pretty safe from them because of the dogs but we did have some considerable trouble with burrows under the shed. The solution, and this would work for rodents in your shed as well, is moth balls. The old fashioned kind, the naphthalene ones.

We dropped a few balls down the GH holes and backfilled with dirt. Left one hole open for those that might have been in the burrow to escape. The next day, we backfilled that hole as well. I haven't seen any GH evidence since then and this is several years ago. Naphthalene is also what's in Snake-Away which is a powdery substance you can scatter around the perimeter of your property if you have snakes.

Smells bad. I don't mind it so much in the shed but my husband can't stand it. Still and all, it's kept the mice out of the camping gear and the snakes out of my garden.

Anna

In my housekeeping experience I have always wondered why people didn't secure their premises.
Even when we were young, on ranches, in ranch houses, I would go through and tack down can lids over holes, plug around drain pipes with steel wool, caulk, whatever it took to secure my home.
People see to think rodents are something you have to live with and they aren't!
Your homebuilder leaves them simply because he is too irresponsible to have or pay or make sure his men to do a neat job.
I should add ....this goes for outbuildings also. We have many, in the woods, homebuilt from scraps and not a rodent in them! jenn

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.