It is not green..now what?

sheloveswater

LifeTime Supporter
May 31, 2009
After many weeks my pool is finally to the "cloudy white" stage, My question is do I keep up shock levels until it is clear? I understand to keep it up until the FC loss overnight is 1-2 ppm or less, but I have run out of CL testing solution, hopefully it will arrive tomorrow, it did not come today.

I am so afraid to let it drop to a level I can read with the other kit, I have been fighting this for 2 months, but shock level CL is getting expensive. At least 2 times a week I leave Sam's Club with 18 1.4 gal bottles of Clorox! They think I am the cleanest person in Nashville!

JoAnne

it's not 1-2, it's 1ppm or less loss overnight. if you can't do an overnight fc loss test, the only way to be sure is to keep shocking until the water is clear. you can stop now, but if there's some still living, you will be starting over again.

That is what I figured, I would need to test to be sure and I was mistaken about the amount of CL loss. ooops. I am taking a chance and did not add CL today. Using dilution, I figured about 10ppm tonight so I will check for that tomorrow morn. Hopefully my reagents will come.

I have also used up my cya reagent. I have not had good success with that test. My first reading from a pool supply store was 45. After purchasing my kit I measured it at 90. Did some water changes and finally got to 60, maybe.

I have trouble "not" seeing the dot; reflection, glare, the water shaking in the tube, bubbles, they all confuse me. At least someone on the forum instructed me on using less solution for the test. I used all my solution in about 2 weeks trying to decipher my cya.

I was not surprised the cya was 90 because I used tri-chlor granules all last summer. Which is why shocking for the 45 reading did not work! That was pre-test kit.

Butterfly wrote:
"Remember, do not test pH when FC is above 10ppm-ish as it can read a false high pH."

I have a test kit from last year that has a CL neutralizer and inst's to use 1-2 drops prior to testing pH. Does that work?

Obviously, I do not know how to do quotes from posts and I don't know how to do photos; re: avatars, pool photos. Is that info on the site anywhere? I have never used a forum before so I am forum etiquette stupid.

Hopefully, my replacement chemicals will arrive tomorrow and I would like to post my test #'s for someone's evaluation. Unfortunatley it will be late in the day, sometimes my mail doesn't arrive until 6PM! It was shipped Mon. fingers crossed.

JoAnne

sheloveswater said:
Obviously, I do not know how to do quotes from posts and I don't know how to do photos; re: avatars, pool photos. Is that info on the site anywhere? I have never used a forum before so I am forum etiquette stupid.

There is a quote button in the right corner of each post. So if you want to quote Joyce's reply, you hit the quote button on her post. It will appear in the "Post a Reply" box. You would add your comments under hers, which will end in "[/quote]" just start typing on the line below that.

For pictures, the easiest way is to open a Photobucket.com (or similar) account - which is free. Then you upload your pics to their site (choose the "large" size), following their instructions. The pics will appear on your account page at their site. Below the pic you'll get four selections of code. One will start with IMG. You will "copy and paste" the IMG code into your post reply here and the pic appears.

Don't let that overwhelm you, it's really easy. Just go slow and follow directions.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.