Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: It is not green..now what?

1. Back To Top    #1

It is not green..now what?

After many weeks my pool is finally to the "cloudy white" stage, My question is do I keep up shock levels until it is clear? I understand to keep it up until the FC loss overnight is 1-2 ppm or less, but I have run out of CL testing solution, hopefully it will arrive tomorrow, it did not come today.

I am so afraid to let it drop to a level I can read with the other kit, I have been fighting this for 2 months, but shock level CL is getting expensive. At least 2 times a week I leave Sam's Club with 18 1.4 gal bottles of Clorox! They think I am the cleanest person in Nashville!

JoAnne
    60+ year old 50'x15' IG 30K gal LRB coated cinderblock with no drains, no skimmers, all plumbing external, spent the last 3 years chipping to substrate to patch, repair and coat with a pool sealing product from Sanitred by myself to hopefully eliminate 2 months yearly getting the antique pool ready. The original "cement pond"

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: It is not green..now what?

it's not 1-2, it's 1ppm or less loss overnight. if you can't do an overnight fc loss test, the only way to be sure is to keep shocking until the water is clear. you can stop now, but if there's some still living, you will be starting over again.
    16x32 21,000 gallon in-ground exposed aggregate, 1.5hp pump, 120 sqft catridge filter, birdcage, solar panels, aquavac tigershark qc robot.

3. Back To Top    #3

Hi Joanne,

Yep, what reebok said.

Also, when you get time, post up a full set of test #'s.

Remember, do not test pH when FC is above 10ppm-ish as it can read a false high pH.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

That is what I figured, I would need to test to be sure and I was mistaken about the amount of CL loss. ooops. I am taking a chance and did not add CL today. Using dilution, I figured about 10ppm tonight so I will check for that tomorrow morn. Hopefully my reagents will come.

I have also used up my cya reagent. I have not had good success with that test. My first reading from a pool supply store was 45. After purchasing my kit I measured it at 90. Did some water changes and finally got to 60, maybe.

I have trouble "not" seeing the dot; reflection, glare, the water shaking in the tube, bubbles, they all confuse me. At least someone on the forum instructed me on using less solution for the test. I used all my solution in about 2 weeks trying to decipher my cya.

I was not surprised the cya was 90 because I used tri-chlor granules all last summer. Which is why shocking for the 45 reading did not work! That was pre-test kit.

Butterfly wrote:
    "Remember, do not test pH when FC is above 10ppm-ish as it can read a false high pH."

I have a test kit from last year that has a CL neutralizer and inst's to use 1-2 drops prior to testing pH. Does that work?

Obviously, I do not know how to do quotes from posts and I don't know how to do photos; re: avatars, pool photos. Is that info on the site anywhere? I have never used a forum before so I am forum etiquette stupid.

Hopefully, my replacement chemicals will arrive tomorrow and I would like to post my test #'s for someone's evaluation. Unfortunatley it will be late in the day, sometimes my mail doesn't arrive until 6PM! It was shipped Mon. fingers crossed.

JoAnne
    60+ year old 50'x15' IG 30K gal LRB coated cinderblock with no drains, no skimmers, all plumbing external, spent the last 3 years chipping to substrate to patch, repair and coat with a pool sealing product from Sanitred by myself to hopefully eliminate 2 months yearly getting the antique pool ready. The original "cement pond"

5. Back To Top    #5

no. the phenol red has the same thing which works better per JasonLion, but still not above 10ppm.
    16x32 21,000 gallon in-ground exposed aggregate, 1.5hp pump, 120 sqft catridge filter, birdcage, solar panels, aquavac tigershark qc robot.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by sheloveswater
    Obviously, I do not know how to do quotes from posts and I don't know how to do photos; re: avatars, pool photos. Is that info on the site anywhere? I have never used a forum before so I am forum etiquette stupid.
    There is a quote button in the right corner of each post. So if you want to quote Joyce's reply, you hit the quote button on her post. It will appear in the "Post a Reply" box. You would add your comments under hers, which will end in "[/quote]" just start typing on the line below that.

For pictures, the easiest way is to open a Photobucket.com (or similar) account - which is free. Then you upload your pics to their site (choose the "large" size), following their instructions. The pics will appear on your account page at their site. Below the pic you'll get four selections of code. One will start with IMG. You will "copy and paste" the IMG code into your post reply here and the pic appears.

Don't let that overwhelm you, it's really easy. Just go slow and follow directions.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com