1st timer

Jun 30, 2009
Island of Long, NY
Have had this pool for 8 years and have gotten by on the BBB method from the git go. But now I'm @ my wits end. It's rained here (Long Island N.Y.) for most of June, Opened it 2nd week of May, was crystal clear till the rain came, then cloudy with a bit of green algae. Been using the test strips (I KNOW........ :hammer: ) Any way picked up a drop tester from wal-mart just to get some #s. This is what I got :
TC. 5
PH. 7.5
Alk. 140
Hardness 0
CYA 70
I started to shock yesterday and have added 5, 182 oz 6% bleach and pool is starting to clear up. I have never had to use this much bleach before, but it's never rained this much in one month either. I'm trying to get the water back to that crystal clear that we all strive for, not the dull just OK water. Besides getting a better test kit I'm open 4 suggestions.....
Thanx Jimmy

Besides getting a better test kit I'm open 4 suggestions.....
Well, you should complete the shock process to get your water crystal clear but that process involves a good test kit.

BBB is all about accurate testing of your pool water and understanding the results. You could read "how to shock your pool" up in pool school but you will find out you really need a good test kit to do it accurately.

Thanx for the welcome, have always done everything myself, but, I am not afraid to ask. Is there any way to guesstimate my FC. Right now things are pretty tight and don't want to hit the bride with a "Igotta Have It" she thinks the water looks fine. :roll: I don't want to overdue the bleach, and fade the liner. Usually I could get away with 3 182 oz bleach and the water would clear up. I'm on my 6th jug since yesterday, and there is definitely an improvement, but not up to my par...
Thanx Jimmy

In the long run you will save money by buying a better test kit. Accurate measurements will save you a substantial amount on chemicals since you can add exactly what you need instead of adding extra to be sure.

If the test kit is out of the question, you can dilute the sample with chlorine free water, a 1 to 1 dilution multiplies the result by two, two parts of chlorine free water to one part pool water multiplies the result by three. But when you do that the results get dramatically less precise, and you are really back to guessing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.