Faulty Light Niche?

Jun 30, 2009
Our old built-in pool ( gunite, made in 1960 ) has a nice leak - it drops about 4 inches/day. The water level drops to about the level of the light and then slows down and seems to stop - I've plugged up the skimmer , side outlet and drain and return lines (
and it still leaks ) and so of course it's probably leaking out of the light.

Pool is empty and I took the light off (see photo). One thing I noticed is that in the back of the niche wear where the pool light wire goes thru - well the wire goes thru that hole loosely. Shouldn't there be a seal ( or something ) where the wire goes through the back of the niche?

06-28-09_1859.jpg

Thanks.

Welcome to TFP!!

There are a couple reasons I can think of that make having a sealed niche impractical - but not impossible :wink:

Anyway, all you need do is plug the hole that the cord goes through with some waterproof 2 part epoxy putty (you can find it at a pool store or any decent plumbing/ hardware store) - then - let it set up before putting the light back in :wink:

The unsealed cord holes are prone to conduit breakage from freezing and ground shifting - but sealing the hole with epoxy putty will solve the problem - I have to do it ~ a dozen times each year at work.

As for the pics - you might want to try setting up a Photobucket account, which makes posting pics here easy enough for even me to be able to use it (I'm pretty sure that my dog is more computer savvy than I am :mrgreen: )

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.