Super High CH

May 23, 2008
Northern California
In order to lower my salt and CH, I did a partial drain of my pool last weekend. I only drained about 15-20%. Before the drain, my CH was at 1100 (!) It was 44 drops with a 10ml sample. I assumed it was this high because I know the water in this area is rather hard. But when I tested the fill water, it was only 40. The pool is about 2.5 years old with the original fill water. Is there a logical explanation as to how the CH got so high? I never tested the CH because the store told me I didn't need to and then I found this site, so I don't know what the CH was for the first 18 months.

CH can get high if you use cal-hypo as your main source of chlorine.

I would also imagine that if you lose a lot of water to evaporation, and need to top your pool off often, that would cause your CH to go up.

I'm sure someone much more knowledgeable than I will post a better explanation.

It is possible that at different times of the year your water supplier used different sources of water. For example during seasons when there is abundant rainfall, my water suppliers use water from rivers and lakes. These tend to have very low CH. On the other hand during dry periods, they may use wells. Most underground water will have high CH. Normal potable water treatment will not remove CH.

Not really very much. It is also very area dependent. I design and built control and instrumentation systems for municipal water and wastewater plants so get to see a lot of things others don't. You might try calling your local water department.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.