Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Super High CH

1. Back To Top    #1

Super High CH

In order to lower my salt and CH, I did a partial drain of my pool last weekend. I only drained about 15-20%. Before the drain, my CH was at 1100 (!) It was 44 drops with a 10ml sample. I assumed it was this high because I know the water in this area is rather hard. But when I tested the fill water, it was only 40. The pool is about 2.5 years old with the original fill water. Is there a logical explanation as to how the CH got so high? I never tested the CH because the store told me I didn't need to and then I found this site, so I don't know what the CH was for the first 18 months.
    ============================================================ ===========================================
    12,000 gal. IG Colorquartz, 1.65hp Sta-Rite with 2-spd motor, 300sf cartridge, SWG, AquaLogic P4, Polaris 280, gas+solar, 6' sheer descent with dedicated pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Super High CH

CH can get high if you use cal-hypo as your main source of chlorine.

I would also imagine that if you lose a lot of water to evaporation, and need to top your pool off often, that would cause your CH to go up.

I'm sure someone much more knowledgeable than I will post a better explanation.
    ~30000 GAL In-Ground 26'x50' Kidney Shaped Pool
    Hayward EC-75 DE Filter w/1.5HP Hayward SuperPump
    daily user of JasonLion's Poolcalculator
    (12) 2x10 SunGrabber Solar Panels...now if only there was some sun to shine on them!

3. Back To Top    #3

robrinker listed all the likely possibilities. One, rather less likely possibility is that the fill water CH level was much higher in the past.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

does the new plaster have anything to do with it? besides the builder adding lots of calcium, I don't know how mine got to 625 either.
    16x32 21,000 gallon in-ground exposed aggregate, 1.5hp pump, 120 sqft catridge filter, birdcage, solar panels, aquavac tigershark qc robot.

5. Back To Top    #5

Maybe the house has something that removes the calcium but the pool was filled bypassing it?
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

6. Back To Top    #6

It is possible that at different times of the year your water supplier used different sources of water. For example during seasons when there is abundant rainfall, my water suppliers use water from rivers and lakes. These tend to have very low CH. On the other hand during dry periods, they may use wells. Most underground water will have high CH. Normal potable water treatment will not remove CH.
    7,500 gal, IG pool, L shape 22' x 15', 1.5 hp pump, cartridge filter, AquaPlus SWG/Controller, Pebble-Tec liner.

7. Back To Top    #7

that's interesting. is there any documentation on that online? swiftmud's website maybe?
    16x32 21,000 gallon in-ground exposed aggregate, 1.5hp pump, 120 sqft catridge filter, birdcage, solar panels, aquavac tigershark qc robot.

8. Back To Top    #8

Not really very much. It is also very area dependent. I design and built control and instrumentation systems for municipal water and wastewater plants so get to see a lot of things others don't. You might try calling your local water department.
    7,500 gal, IG pool, L shape 22' x 15', 1.5 hp pump, cartridge filter, AquaPlus SWG/Controller, Pebble-Tec liner.