Problems Skimming

gator.bigfoot

Jun 30, 2009
Ayr, Ontario
Hello all, I have a 26K gallon pool with which I am having problems keeping the surface clean. Debris seems to float around, but not make it into the skimmer the way you would think it should. The pool shape is basically 2 circles with the larger 20ft across and the smaller 16ft across. The one side is straight and the other is like a kidney joining the 2 circles. The skimmer is in the deep end half way in the 20ft circle. There is one jet beside the skimmer the other is in the shallow end on the opposite side on the smaller 16ft circle. I am running a 3/4 hp motor with 1 1/2 inch lines. The pool used to have a 1 hp pump, but I replaced it when the kreepy krauly wouldn't work because the pool had to much suction. Even with the reducer on the kreepy it was too much and the kreepy would wize around the pool in about 10 seconds. I have been running the 3/4 hp now for about 4 years and it works great. No more leaking at the gasket and the pool no longer gets green. But it does not skim properly. There is debris in the skimmer, but there is always some on the waters suface and with the birch trees in the area its a mess.

Would adding more jets help this? Can this be retrofitted? Can I add another skimmer. Of course I would like to do all of this without destryoing the liner which I had replaced 2 years ago.

Thanks,

Walter :-D

How high is your water level in relation to the skimmer? You might try lowering the water level a little bit and see if that helps. The higher your water level is in relation to the skimmer opening, the less skimming action you will have. It generally should be no more than halfway on the skimmer.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.