What's the ratio for boric acid/ mule team for neutral PH

May 25, 2007
Hey all. Haven't been back much yet this year, had my best start up ever, pool is fantastic and trouble free :)

However my dad just built a new house, in town where high alkalinity is an issue, and had a 12k gal IG vinyl liner pool installed. We used sticks until his CYA hit 40, now it's 6% SHC all the way. Water looks great, but I'm fine tuning his alkalinity so we can add borates for PH stability and water quality. Alk at start up was 240, I have it down to 160 after only about 1 week, so need to get some stuff ordered so we're ready to go. I also need to test and top off my borates.

Have read with interest about adding boric acid with a bit of mule team 20 as it's apparently PH neutral, however Jason's excellent calculator doesn't have this mix as choice unless I've missed it. For a 12k gal pool with 0 ppm borates, how much of each will I need to add to get the desired 50ppm concentration with no impact on PH?

Also, anyone have a quick link to a good deal on boric acid?

Thanks all :)

It is normally fine to just use all boric acid. Boric acid is only very mildly acidic. As long as your PH starts at 7.5 or higher you will be fine, especially if your PH tends to drift up over time. However, if you want to be completely PH neutral, calculate the quantity for boric acid and then use 92% boric acid and 8% borax.

Good to know, thanks!

Is boric acid dry or liquid? Does it come in different concentrations?

Never mind, found it, powder. 50# bag for $1.62 per # should do all our two pools need.

Thanks again!

One last question before I order the boric acid.

I assume once in the water to the proper 50 ppm concentration, the water quality/feel effects the borates have are the same no matter the source (mule team, boric acid, etc), right?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.