HAYWARD 1HP XSTREAM PUMP QUESTIONS

Jun 29, 2009
First off great place !!!!
Well i broke down and bought a hayward 1hp pump and filter xstream combo installed it on my AG 24 ' intex ultra frame pool (simple connections) but my question is with the pump; the pump is on a 100' extension cord that is 12awg rated @ 15 amps and the pump runs fine and is a great product :lol: but when i start the pump up it spins slowly for about 10 seconds and then shuts off......UNLESS when i turn the pump on and close the pool return valve then the pump runs up to speed , i open the valve and everything works beautiflly and the birds sing ,etc.,etc.
anyone have any suggestions ?????

It's that 100' extension cord that's doing it. That motor (if it's indeed a 1hp) draws 16amps. That's already above the rating of the extension cord.

On startup a motor can draw many times the full load current. What you're doing by closing the discharge valve is unloading the pump so the motor doesn't draw as much current starting. Every time the motor shuts down prematurely it hurts a bit :( . You really need to run a permanent line to the pump and make sure it's on a gfci breaker.

that may help...also ensure it is plugged into a dedicated 20A GFCI protected circuit (ie...no other items run off the same curcuit)...otherwise you are risking a shock hazard

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.