Green in little glass "jar"

May 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
My pool looks great, and all my test levels are great. However, the little glass "jar" that is connected to the backwash gets dark green fairly quickly. I backwashed a week ago, and just added CYA a few days ago, so I can't backwash again for a few days. Why does that little glass jar get green so quickly ? And do you backwash as soon as it does? (mine starts turning green after only a day or 2)

It sounds like you are talking about the backwash sight glass. Water runs through that glass when you are backwashing so you can tell when you are done backwashing. The water will turn clear when you are done. When the system is left in filter mode, no water is running through there. Given some sunlight, algae could grow inside. That doesn't really matter, it will all get washed out the next time you backwash.

You want to backwash when the filter pressure goes up by about 6 psi over the pressure when the filter is clean.

Hate to tell you this but... if it gets greener as you start to backwash - you've got algae in the filter (and, unfortunately, it looks like it's alive and growing -- or this is your first backwash after cleaning up a pond of a pool) It may well be best to take the filter apart and hose it of thoroughly (every square inch of the grids!).

If you haven't already please feel free to read Use and Care for DE Filters

We cleaned the filter about a month ago. After I backwash, the sightglass is clear, but after just a day or 2 the water in the sightglass starts to turn green. I think it's probably because it's sitting in the sun, and algae is just growing in the sightglass.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.