anyone ever get sick from smelling clorine during conversion

Jun 27, 2009
davenport,iowa
ive been sick ever since i started the conversion last thurday i must have breathed in too much of the fumes i have had raw sinuses and a bloody nose weird huh is this un heard of? idont feel good either,but the pool looks sweet though waiting for test kit to finish this aby only dosing at night with bottle of shock.......mike in iowa

I know that Chlorine Gas is deadly. After we put in a watermain system, and before the copper lines got ran to the houses, we would fill them with water, close the valves and have someone come out and put chlorine gas in the mains. Then two days later, blow it out the hydrants and whips, and take chemical tests for bacteria and such. But anyhow, the truck had the skull and crossbones placard on it. And it was important that the feed valves did not get opened up and release the gas into the existing water main.

With that said, is it possible that enough of a concentration of chlorine could effect someone the same as the gas? I am sure that the gas is probably 100% though so it is a guess.

If you are talking about a biguanide (Baquacil) conversion the 'fumes' are not chlorine but rather chloramines, the very same ones that cause problems in indoor pools. Once the conversion is done chloramines are rarely a problem.

Chlorine in the forms used in pools is not usually a problem, but combined chlorine (CC) is a known respiratory irritant. A conversion might involve high CC levels.

There are some things that can release chlorine gas, which hopefully you are not doing. Never mix chlorine and acid. You can add them to the pool at different times, but they should never be mixed together outside the pool.

hello thanks for the info guys i am doing just plain baqa to clorine conversion no acid mixing or anything like that, im on day 5 of the transition i actually tried not to smell any of the stuff ive never had a problem before with clorine smell but man im starting to go through some tissue paper now a lot of drainage going on here....my first pour was with 2 gallons of shock 10% and 9 gallons of bleach and 4 pool store shock total since i started.. as of now waiting for test kit to do overnight fc test....again thanks for the killer site guys jason you know too much about pools and water chem glad to have found this place......mike b in iowa

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.