Christmas in July???

G

Time to replace my 26 year old equipment.

Hayward Pro-Grid 48 sq ft.
Hayward RS 1500
Stupid Cat.

S4010011.JPG

S4010012.JPG

Edit - Ok i noticed i have a 2hp magnatek on it, its pretty old. Is it that big of a difference between the 2hp and the 1.5hp.

A 2hp would be too big for that size filter, actually to be honest that pump has a higher flow rate than that filter is rated for. Someone can go to haywards website and pull the numbers.

Humm

Just talked with my boss and he said,

Your magnatech is ANCIENT
The hayward RS moves way more water. So the 1.5 is more than enough. For mine he said he usually tells customers to get the 1hp. So im good :)

Like I said I don't actually think you are good. He normally sells the 1hp for a reason because the 1.5 is more than the filter can handle. That pump at 40ft of head does 114 gpm. That filter has a design flow rate of 96 gpm. So what does this mean? Your filter won't be able to handle the pump. You either need to downsize the pump or upsize the filter. Downsizing the pump will save you electricity, upsizing the filter will save you water.

any particular reason you're replacing the filter? from an appearance standpoint, it looks great. mine is 27 years old, took it apart last year and laterals are in excellent shape, casing, valve is in great shape. i took out the sand to remove and inspect the laterals and loaded it with zeobrite and it continues to work great. it's the one piece of equipment i did not replace. i did replace the pump as it was getting noisy and likely was on the way to needing bearings. i might have got a season or 2 more out of it but got a good deal at the right time so thought what the heck.

tenax said:
any particular reason you're replacing the filter? from an appearance standpoint, it looks great. mine is 27 years old, took it apart last year and laterals are in excellent shape, casing, valve is in great shape. i took out the sand to remove and inspect the laterals and loaded it with zeobrite and it continues to work great. it's the one piece of equipment i did not replace. i did replace the pump as it was getting noisy and likely was on the way to needing bearings. i might have got a season or 2 more out of it but got a good deal at the right time so thought what the heck.

ps- is that the new filter in the picture which would explain my appearance comment..but then, i would be wondering why you're asking if you've already bought the stuff:)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
poolio said:
Like I said I don't actually think you are good. He normally sells the 1hp for a reason because the 1.5 is more than the filter can handle. That pump at 40ft of head does 114 gpm. That filter has a design flow rate of 96 gpm. So what does this mean? Your filter won't be able to handle the pump. You either need to downsize the pump or upsize the filter. Downsizing the pump will save you electricity, upsizing the filter will save you water.

You gotta factor in the elbows the piping etc.... When it comes down its probably gonna push 95 gpm, it will be fine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.