New Pool & Totally Confused!!

Apr 15, 2009
Louisiana
Hi! We have recently installed a new pool, has been filled about a month now. Water is clear, pool company came a week ago and added salt. They kind of just said do this, this & that & left. I have been studying all the excellent information on TFP and really appreciate all the great info here. I have been trying to work with my pool and learn but it seems like I get a handle on what I think I should do and...you know how it goes. I just checked my numbers and have no chlorine at all. Hopefully someone can steer me in the right direction -

FC - .5
CC - 0
TC - .5
PH - 7.8 - 8.0 (hard to decide)
TA - 100
CH - 160
CYA - 70

I do have the TF kit. We have been adding muratic acid. The salt level is 4800 - too high I think.
What should I do now? Thanks so much.

Welcome to TFP!

First, you need to get the FC level up to at least 5, preferably more like 8, as soon as possible. The simplest way to do that is to add bleach. You can use my Pool Calculator, see the link in my signature, to figure out how much bleach that will take.

Second, you mentioned adding salt, but you didn't say that you have a SWG (salt water chlorine generator). If you do have a SWG, you need to check on it and see if any of the error lights are lit.

You should also lower your PH down to about 7.5.

Hi and welcome.

You don't list in your sig what kind of SWG you have. Some can operate at higher salt levels. What is the salt level from? The unit, strips? Pool store?

The ph will continue to rise as the plaster cures. Keep adding the acid when that happens. Each time it goes to 7.8 lower it down to 7.4. Keep an eye on the TA that it doesn't get too low as you add acid. 60-70 is the lowest that should get before it needs to be adjusted with baking soda.

Read the Startup New Plaster article in pool School for more hints on your new surface, care, etc..

If the SWG isn't operating, you need some chlorine in there. You can add chlorine by using bleach for now, add enough to raise your FC to about 5 ppm. Is the SWG turned on yet?

Do you know how to use the Pool Calculator to figure your acid doses and your chlorine amounts to add?

Thanks so much for the quick replies!! We do have a Jandy Aquapure SWG - I added it to my sig. I have tried using the pool calculator - I am having a hard time figuring the width & length of the pool. It's a free form and the guy that did the "pool school" with us said it was about 19,000 gallons. How can I figure the right amounts of bleach to use? The SWG was turned on 10 days ago when pool man added the salt.

cindyslou said:
Thanks so much for the quick replies!! We do have a Jandy Aquapure SWG - I added it to my sig. I have tried using the pool calculator - I am having a hard time figuring the width & length of the pool. It's a free form and the guy that did the "pool school" with us said it was about 19,000 gallons. How can I figure the right amounts of bleach to use? The SWG was turned on 10 days ago when pool man added the salt.

Then it sounds like something isn't right with the SWG... I'd get them back out to determine the problem.

Go ahead and use 19,000 gallons for now, and I think 3 small jugs (96oz) will raise you to almost 8 which should get you through to tomorrow evening, but keep an eye on the FC tomorrow and don't let it fall below 5.

cindyslou said:
I will add bleach in the morning. Shouldn't I also add muratic acid to lower my PH? If I did it correctly, I should add 19 oz. of acid.
I get 27 oz. MA to move pH from 7.8 to 7.4.

Also, wait at least an hour between adding chlorine and adding MA.

Welcome to the forum. :wave:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.