using a lot of chlorine during the day

pepsiholic

LifeTime Supporter
May 23, 2009
Fairmont, WV
Hi everyone. My pool has never looked better since my conversion, but I seem to be using an awful lot of bleach to keep my levels up. I did the overnight test and everything was fine, but seem to lose about 4 ppm's during the day when it's sunny. This is requiring me to use about 3 quarts of bleach a night to keep at recommended levels.

Just for fun I tested yesterday in the morning. It was cloudy all day and I tested again in the evening, only lost 2 ppm's. FC level was 6, bumped it up to nine overnite.
Tested again this morning, was still at 9. Was sunny all day, just tested again for the evening and sure enough back down to 5, added another 3 quarts to allow for burnoff tomorrow.

Does this seem like a lot of bleach or is this normal? I've read where some only have to add a cup or two a night and I'm having to add quarts. Going through a few gallons a week at this rate.

My numbers are:

FC 9 (can almost garauntee it will be back to 5 by tomorrow evening)
CC0
TC 9
PH 7.8
TA 120
CYA 50

Any recommendations will be greatly appriciated. Thanks!

Yeah, 4ppm daily loss is a little higher than average but not earthshaking.

Remember that only two things reduce the FC in your pool. Sunlight and organics.

Is your pool really active with a heavy swimmer load?

How much Sun do you get daily?

Lot of kids in the pool?

Thanks for the replies everyone, good to know I'm on the right track.

My pool does get full sun everyday, all day, although I don't have a large swimmer load (unless you count all of the japenese beetles I've been skimming out constantly...lol) . Maybe every couple of days my daughter will have a friend over, but it really doesn't get used much until the weekend.

It's still cheaper than the baquacil, I was using, so I guess I shouldn't be complaining..lol...just need to get back to walmart and stock back up. I was there the other day and all the big jugs were gone.

I had similar consumption before I got the solar cover. I now use about 3 qts (about 3.1 ppm) every other day with swimming and CL target levels between 4-7, CYA 40. I have full sunshine and lots of trees, bugs etc., but I lose the most chlorine between 11.00am and 4.00pm

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.