Aqualeader Liner Question - Darn !

Sep 3, 2008
Bucks County, PA
Again:

Darn, Darn, Darn :rant:

My 50% off , end of season replacement liner (the deal I thought was fantastic) turns out to be a bit too short! :hammer:

I guess the "yo yo" at the pool store (as well as the "yo yo" typing this post :mrgreen: ) did not realize that my 15x33 Aqualeader has the "scalloped sidewalls" so I'm guessing this 15x33 is the incorrect one? I asked about 15 times if the Aqualeader 15x33 was different than the "average" 15x33 oval.

Can someone confirm? I can post the label info if needed but figured that someone on the board would be able to confirm for me.

I did re-measure my bottom tracks (just since I'm paranoid) and I'm indeed an exact 33 feet long in the furthest point in the ovals..

Right now. I'm all "in the bead" except the distance of the last oval portion. This thing is still appx 3.5 feet away so it appears that a non-Aqualeader 15x33 is indeed smaller (which would makes perfect sense to me.

Can anyone confirm ??

Ps. If so, does anyone need a brand new 15x33 beaded liner at a good deal?

Which model Aqua Leader is it? the Escape/Evasion series? I'm not seeing any other 15x33 on thier website, 15x30 or 18x33, but not 15x33...

The pool does not appear to be constucted or set up to be installed any different than other oval pools - the size is the size. Are you sure you have all your uprights square? That is the biggest challenge when installing an oval pool - getting the upright/brace sides square so that the oval is correct.

You need to note that when installing your liner, it should only be done on a hot sunny day so the liner softens/gives and moves and the liner then stretches in with the water fill. If it just hangs there with any extra before you add water, it's likely going to have some wrinkles. Almost all correct installations are very snug to begin and stretch in as they fill. It will mold itself to the pool walls with the water.

NWMNMom,

Thanks for the response.

The "issue" with the Aqualeader site is that older modles no longer show on the website. Today it was 83+ and the liner was in full sun. All of the uprights are "crazy" level. (Lazer Level and transit).

I'll take some pics tomorrow just to be sure.

My model of Aqualeader has scalloped "long sections" and I think this is where the problems lie. Even though the overall length is 33'. The sides are curved between the side supports adding appx 2+" between every upright. (as opposed to a pool with straight sides).

Since Swimline makes liners exclusively for Aqualeader, I think the man at the pool store figured that this Swimline 15x33 would work. (It does appear shorter than the original liner but thats really hard to tell).

Right now, the side seams are right on the coves. The back "oval portion" is perfect and the front oval is appx 3.5 feet + away from the wall. Basically the entire pool has liner in the bead except for the one oval and I'm sure there's no way it's stretching even half that distance.

What's really annoying is that : It's in the bead about 90% around the pool and it's so hot out there is not one wrinkle on the floor as is!

I just emailed Aqualeader for them to confirm . I'll post some pics.

I don't know but not many of the ovals I have seen are "straight" on the sides either. Mine curves/bows in between the side supports/uprights as well and is intended to do that. The bottom rail was that way. I looked at the install instructions for the 15x33 and it appeared to be the same way as well. Maybe yours is more so than that, like extreme or something?

Perhaps it's just that particular liner and not the brand? Not every liner in the run is going to be just right - manufacturing defects and all, especially considering if its on sale "ding ding ding" the reason for the sale?

Hi. There is nothing about your pool that would require a special liner. There is also nothing uncommon about a liner fitting the way you describe it. Most of the beaded liners I install require doing it at least twice. We may get it all in the bead receiver and find we have an extra 6", we take it out and redo it, this time knowing we need to not stretch it as we put it in the groove, or possibly even push back and bunch it a little.

In your case I would wait for full overhead sunlight, take it all out and start over. Make sure you know what seams you are lining up, whether they are end to end or side to side. You must start with your seams in the proper place. With one person holding the start position, so it does not move, you pull and stretch the liner as you put it in the receiver.

Pulling the liner in this way can easily gain 3' or more of liner. I have had some that required doing this several times to finally get it stretched enough, but I have never seen one that would not fit eventually.

That's what I would do anyway.

Dennis

EDIT:

1 hour later :

Liner "All in the bead" and looking good!!!! (And just me doing it without help today. Comparing the 2 liners, the new one is easilly 2-3 feet larger just laying on top of the old one.

This new one installed and then after making the usual adjustments was only about 7-8" away from the ends in a few areas. I tried (just for the heck of it) adjusting the old one and even on the "final adjustment" the furthest measurement was 4.5' away from one wall portion and then still a few inches away on other sections.

I did also find the quality contol tag on the back of the liner and it matches the box 15x33 x 52 so the only thing I can think of is that it's mis-marked???? or what NWMNMom said that It may just be an incorrect size / defect etc.

I guess the best way to describe it is (to me):

like I was trying to put a 15x30 liner into a 15x33 pool. After messing with it and getting it close it seemed like it was just "way off".

My earlier response is below. Thanks again for the help. I thought I was going crazy. I knew that someone would be able to either confirm or give advice.

Pool filling now. However it's now POURING RAIN . . .

I made it with 20 minutes to spare. Thunder, heavy rain and pretty good wind. Boy . . . my nerves are shot.... but hey . . . some free water !

Luckilly, all pool walls are staked, braced etc. (Whew!)

Build thread and new sig to follow!

Previous Reply from 12:44pm:

Thanks NWMNMom and Dennis,

I just wanted to make sure since the pool store here seemed to be a bit confused.

They were very nice therer today (By the way, it was an end of year sale and this particular store does Winter "hobbies" after fall so I guess they don't want heavy liner boxes sitting around in their warhouse).

From what he says they have seen this a few times with the Stonecrest unibead liners. I realize that they are all "tight" especially a 25 mil like I have but after installing a few, this one just seems (every way I try) quite an unusual distance off.

He was more than happy to swap it out (Considering I already tore off the j-bead portion). He has a neighbor with a 15x33 that has several patches in his liner and will be doing another.

I'm out there now and comparing the 2 liners on top of each other it appears that there is at least (possibly manufacturing) 2.5+ feet of extra length on thenew one.

I'm comfortable since he's seen it a few times that it may be what's going on. I'm out there now and it's 84 degrees and sunny. (The vinyl seem like butter so I'll keep you posted.)

Gotta love this board. Always lots of help which is a great thing.

And who knows.... like NWMNMom says, possibly the reason for the sale... you never know.

Keep you posted.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.