Need help with sand filter ASAP!!!

Jun 4, 2008
Alabama
I'm in the process of trying to replace the sand in my filter. It appears they have glued on the inside center pipe (in the filter) to the control valve! What do I do??

I apologize ahead of time for my lack of technical lingo...I'm in a bit of a rush to post this.

Thanks!

Some pictures might help. However, if the pipe was glued to the inside of the control valve, you can simply cut off the pipe at the valve and the use a coupler of the next larger size to go on the outside of the valve. You can then use a larger pipe to connect to the new filter again using a coupler to the outside of the filter fitting. If the current pipe size is 2", you would need 2 1/2" couplers and pipe to make the new connection. You might need a bushing at the filter depending on what kind of fittings it comes with. Bottom line is that it shouldn't be too hard to replace.

Thanks for the reply... this was more of a bad discovery than I was planning on and unfortunately darkness overtook me. I will try to get some pictures tomorrow if I can. This goes along with everything else my wife and I have found about this house. Everything is rigged and a little off. I don't know why I still get surprised!

I thought about cutting the pipe and adding a coupler like you stated, but I was hesitant. I guess I wanted to run it by all the experts here before I ran off and did something like that :wink:.

Here are a couple of pictures of the control valve and pipe situation. I really wish there was something I could do without cutting any pipes, but if I have to then so be it. Please let me know if anyone has any suggestions. Thanks as always.

Mark

Attachments

• P1020173.JPG
    P1020173.JPG
    112.7 KB · Views: 93
  • P1020174.JPG
    P1020174.JPG
    101.2 KB · Views: 93
I think you'll find that it is not really glued in, but just very stuck. Cut your plumbing and install some unions so you don't have to worry about the valve. Then pull the standpipe up so you can access and remove the laterals (you may also be able to fold them up) so that you can pull the whole assembly out. Then remove the stand pipe from the MPV, completely if it's not glued, or saw it a few inches from the MPV so you can just add a 1.5" coupling to the pipe when you replace it. You may need to cut off about a .5" section of the pipe so it is not any longer because of the repair.

Also, don't glue the coupling on or you'll have the same problem next year. Just both cut ends of the stand pipe with a layer or two of teflon tape and then dry fit the pipe. It will hold just fine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.