Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hmmm... This seems too good to be true.

1. Back To Top    #1

Hmmm... This seems too good to be true.

Hey All,

GREAT SITE!!! I recently purchased my first above groud pool (still waiting for it to arrive). It's an oval shaped 15 x 30 & 52" deep. I was planning on filling it with 13,500 gallons of trucked in "city" water to the tune of $700. I live in the country & don't want to fill it with my rusty well water.

Here's the deal. A "friend" at work said I could fill my pool with water from my POND!!!
    Do you REALLY think that is possible?!?!?!?! Here is a little background on my pond. VERY CLEAN water. You can see down 4 feet. I use Aqushade (blue dye) to block sunlight into the water & help stop any algea growth. And I used one application of Karmex herbicide back in April to kill any & all aquatic weeds. No chemicals added since April. Karmex is safe for humans. The pond looks clean & clear. The kids & I have swam in it every year. Just wanted to make the move to a "real" pool.

My new pool is equipped with a 1.5 HP pump & 22" sand filter.

I've seen opening pics that look WAY worse than the water in my pond. See below.

for-those-who-doubt-the-bbb-method-t14503.html

So, do you think I should try to save the $700.00 & fill it with pond water?

ANY and ALL help or comments are appreciated!!!
    15 x 30 AG - 13,000 Gallons
    20 Gauge Vinyl Liner
    1.5 HP Sta-Rite Pump & 21" Sta-Rite Sand Filter
    Trident Auto Pool Cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Hmmm... This seems too good to be true.

Welcome to TFP!

There have been one or two folks who have used pond water to fill their pools. However, I am not sure about the chemicals you have put in... is the Shade like bluing? Does it fade over time? I know bluing can stain.... I would look into them a little more before taking the plunge, pardon my pun!

I'm sure a chem guru will be along to offer more help soon!

8000 gallon 20' x 48" round vinyl frame pool, 12" sand filter (don't have the specs on the pump), TF100 test kit
    Handy Links: PoolMath, TF-100 Test Kit, Pool School, CYA-Chlorine Chart
    "Shock" is a process, not a product!

3. Back To Top    #3

Mermaid Queen,

THANKS for the reply to my first post. Yes, the Aquashade does fade over time due to either drain-down of the pond after heavy rains or evaporation in hot weather. I normally add a half gallon of Aquashade in the spring (March or April) and another half gallon mid to late summer (July or August). Like I said in my original post, I added Karmex to my pond in April & NOTHING has grown in my pond since! No algea, aquatic weeds, nothin'.

And my pond is filled with the best SOFT water of all... Rain water.
    20 Gauge Vinyl Liner

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

I have filled my large pool twice from my pond. Chlorine and filtration turned the water from murky pond green to crystal clear in about 4 days.

That said, I would caution the use of your pond water until I found out a little bit more about Karmex. Whatever is in it, you should be very comfortable drinking it because someone swimming in your pool will be doing that.

Secondly, the aquashade (which I used in my pond about 15 years ago and some of my neighbors still use it) is I think a very, very powerful dye. To my knowledge, it only fades from the pond thru water replacement and I doubt your swimming pool filter is capable of filtering it out.

If you can get comfortable with those two drawbacks, filling a pool with pond water is a piece of cake......usually simpler than ridding a pool of algae-infested, stagnant water. All it takes is chlorine and filtration....(a sand filter will be the easiest if you decide to do this)
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

I googled Karmex and it is pretty scary stuff. And, it is NOT approved for aquatic use. There is a long thread at Pondboss.com that discusses this stuff.

I don't think I would use that water in my pool, nor would I go swimming in that pond after reading some of the stuff! Spend the $750 !!!!
    20 x 40 vinyl IG. SWG. Solar. Ikeric VS pump.

6. Back To Top    #6

Cost to fill my 13,500 pool using city water here in central FL - ~$80

$700? Yikes.
    ~13000 inground plaster
    150sq Ft Cartridge Filter

7. Back To Top    #7

Not sure what I was thinking. I'm going to have the water hauled in. My families safety is worth WAY more than $750. Thanks for helping me get my head screwed on straight.
    20 Gauge Vinyl Liner