Cloudy green pool for about a week. Help!!!

May 31, 2007
Burlington, CT
Hi everyone. I am ready to start the BBB method to clear up my pool, but can't seem to get the Pool Calculator to work. Can anyone help me calculate how much bleach I would need to add?

Here are the stats:

24 foot above ground, 48" deep

FC 6.5
CC .5
ph 7.4
TA 170
stabilizer. about 10. I did add some powder about a week ago, and have 3 pucks floating around in the pool. ( I know!! But I figured they wouldn't hurt :) )

We drained the pool 10 days ago because we were having severe iron problems. Unfortunately, I waited too long to add chlorine (because there was a little water left in the pool, and I wanted to make sure the iron content was low enough to add chlorine.) Anyway, we had an algae bloom.

The water was swampy green, and now has been light cloudy green for about a week. Filter has been running 24/7 I have been adding lots of bleach, but wasn't sure of my CC levels, until I got my test today. :)

None of the pool stores around here sell the titration kit, so I had to order it online.

So, I am ready to get REALLY started, but now the calculator doesn't seem to be working for me! Any ideas.

(I will post my pool stats in my signature later. I have to double check the cartridge filter, and pump info)

Hello and welcome to TFP!

What is wrong with the pool calculator on your end? It's fairly simple really. You simply enter your pool size in gallons at the top left, and then enter your values in the corresponding fields for an answer. Are you not able to enter your numbers or something?

My Pool Calculator was down for about an hour this afternoon, just before the original post. So this is probably why it wasn't working.

Try the Pool Calculator again and see if it will work for you now.

Hi again.

I must have posted earlier when the pool calculator was down.

I did read the pool school tutorial, but hadn't been able to monitor the FC and CC previously due to the lack of a good test kit. ;)

So, today, since the calculator was temporarily down, I added 2 large jugs of Clorox. e Apparently, this should have increased the FC by about 13 ppm. This was about 5:00

I just checked the water, and here are my new numbers

FC 17
CC 1.5

I did scrub the pool before adding the bleach, and the filter is still running.

I do realize that my Cya is low, so I ran out to the pool store, purchased some liquid stabilizer, and dumped some of that in, too.

I will check the levels again tomorrow morning, and post the results.

Thanks for the suggestions so far!

I checked my pool water again this morning, about 6:30, before leaving for work:

FC 20.5
CC .5 - 1.0 I could see a little difference between 1 and 2 drops from off white to clear?

Water is still blue-green cloudy, but I can see the bottom of the pool. I could see it yesterday too, though.

Should I have my husband add more bleach to the water this morning before he leaves for work?
I won't be home until 4:00.

You could have him add another dose but shocking the pool is more effective at night when the sun is off the pool because it's not burning the chlorine off.

You want to be consitantly shocking the pool at night until you lose less than 1ppm FC at night, you have less than .5CC and your water sparkles. :wink:

The pool water was fresh, so I am guessing it is pretty low. I added a quart, I think, of powdered stabilizer last weekend, and have had some trichlor tablets floating.

I did check the Cya levels with the TF test kit, and it was showing about 10.

I knew it was too low, so I added some liquid stabilizer last night.

I can check it again when I get home.

Thanks! :)

Here are this afternoon's results (5pm)

FC 13
CC .5
ph 7.5
TA 180
Cya 50 (I took the floating pucks out!)

I think I did the Cya right. It was last year's TF testing kit. The only thing is, the black dot disappeared when I was holding the tube in mid-air, but when I put it on the table over a white cloth, I could see the black dot again.

So, this is my plan: Bring back up to shock levels tonight, and do that overnight chlorine loss test.

The pool is clearing up a bit, but is still cloudy and blue-green. Could this be dead algae. Or do you all think that I still have live algae in the pool? My CC was .5 this morning, and again this afternoon.

I will scrub the pool again this evening too.

Any thoughts?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I checked my levels last night around 9pm and here they are:

FC 24

CC .5

This morning, about 6:30, I checked again:

FC 21
CC .5 but the vial is just barely pink. Can hardly even see it.

The water is still greenish and cloudy, but clearer. I can see the bottom of the middle now, as opposed to just the sides.

Another thing, we got a LOT of rain last night, and I had a skimmer sock in. That thing was loaded with brownish sludge with just a hint of red. Wouldn't the algae be green?

So, I am wondering: Is it possible that I still have an iron problem? Would that brown iron be clouding the pool and giving the water a greenish tint?
I am seriously considering turning off the filter overnight , and seeing what settles to the bottom of the pool :) We have done this in past years, because the cartridge filter does just not seem to catch much fine stuff.

Any thoughts or advice??

You had a 3ppm drop - yes it was raining, but I'd still suspect organics and bring it up to shock level for another 24 hrs and repeat the overnight test. Don't bother testing if it rains again. Dead algae isn't necessarily green.

The combo of a cart filter and socks is a great way to filter - carts pick up small particles very well. I'm not sure what letting it settle to the bottom would do? You'd still have to vacume it up into the cart filter...

We don't have a "waste" outlet on our cartridge filter either. We just get the suction going through the skimmer, and then take the hose out of the skimmer, and let the pool water out of the pool.

It does, unfortunately, waste a lot of water. But, I have noticed that when I vacuum with the cartridge filter, the debris just goes right back into the pool. Very frustrating! :)

We have a brand new cartridge filter, just replaced 2 weeks ago.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.