Please help!!

Jul 26, 2008
A friend of mine is having so many problems with her pool. I told her that I would ask for help. She had algae, black algea, and, in my opinion ,mustard algae. On Friday night she completely drained her pool. She power washed everything. She was told by several "pool people" to do this. She has filled har pool back up and her chemical are haywire. Her latest results are..,.FC 0, PH 8.0, TA 170, Calcium Hardness 180, CYA 0. She has already added 5 lbs of shock and uses the tablets. she has added 2 pounds of stabilizer and 2 cups of acid. I do not know what to tell her to do at this point. This forum helped me greatly get up and running a couple of years ago and my water is beatiful. I told her never fear there is plenty of help here.

Thank you,
Shannon
I know it is an 18000 gallon pool. DE Filter. She is single and does not know anymore than that.

She should be running her pump 24hrs a day.
I can't get the pool calculator site to work right now but you should go there and plug in the numbers and see what it tells you to add. Then you can tell her what she needs to do.

Finally got the calc to work.
Here's what it says she needs to add based on the numbers you gave.

Add 1-3/4 gal of bleach.
Add 37 oz (1qt + 1 cup) of 31.45% Muratic acid.
Add 6-1/2 lbs of Cyanuric Acid.

That should get her started.

I'd test the CYA again before adding anything because it takes it a while to dissolve and mix and she's already added some.

Bama Rambler said:
I'd test the CYA again before adding anything because it takes it a while to dissolve and mix and she's already added some.
This is a brand-new fill so the starting CYA is 0. She already put in 2lb so she wants about another 4lb (for 6 total). But don't bother testing CYA until a week after the last of it goes in.
--paulr

shannonij said:
A friend of mine is having so many problems with her pool. I told her that I would ask for help. She had algae, black algea, and, in my opinion ,mustard algae. On Friday night she completely drained her pool. She power washed everything. She was told by several "pool people" to do this. She has filled har pool back up and her chemical are haywire. Her latest results are..,.FC 0, PH 8.0, TA 170, Calcium Hardness 180, CYA 0. She has already added 5 lbs of shock and uses the tablets. she has added 2 pounds of stabilizer and 2 cups of acid. I do not know what to tell her to do at this point. This forum helped me greatly get up and running a couple of years ago and my water is beatiful. I told her never fear there is plenty of help here.

Thank you,
Shannon
I know it is an 18000 gallon pool. DE Filter. She is single and does not know anymore than that.

Does she have access to the computer - so she can read Pool School and use the Pool Calc herself?

What kind of pool is it, plaster or vinyl?
Did she use Dichlor shock or Cal-hypo shock?
The tablets will help keep the PH/TA to go lower, but she will need to stop using them eventually.

If the shock was Dichlor, and she added 2 lbs of stablizer, her CYA is probably already in the 30 range by now.

Is there any residual algae left? She'll still need to shock until the FC holds overnight, running the filter 24/7.

The best thing you can do for your friend is have her join the site (if she has computer access) so she can learn for herself. :wink:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.