Scale on pebbletec

ehorn

Apr 15, 2007
Hello,

Just wondering if anyone can help me with a pool cleaning issue. I haven't cleaned around the pool since it was actually built but I must have been neglecting the pool as it was never this bad before. I have the ugly white ring around the pool and the hot tub which is a calcium build up I'm assuming. I do not have tile around the pool and there is some natural rock that will need to be cleaned as well.

What I want to know is the best way to clean this up without damaging the pebbletec. I have read a mild mixture of water and acid will work but I did try this and it doesn't really do anything. I know this is probably a decent size build up. Anyone have any suggestions for a "do it yourself" clean or is a professional acid wash going to be the best fix?

Also if the professional fix is the best anyone have any suggestions, comments on their acid clean, things to look out for, etc?

Thanks for your help. I don't have any pictures of what I'm talking about but I can take some tonight if it will help.

Eric

Hi, Eric,

If it's calcium, acid will remove it. Start with a 1:5 ratio of 31.5% muriatic acid to water. If it doesn't foam up instantly when you apply it to the buildup, you haven't mixed it strong enough or it's not calcium.

If you haven't worked with acid before, use caution and good sense.

Importantly, calcium buildup is normally the result of improper water balance. If you don't fix that, it will simply reoccur after you clean it.

Thanks Dave, so far I've done about a 3:1 ratio of water to acid with little success. I will spray it on and it does fizz a little but doesn't really remove any of the white. I might try a higher solution as I didn't look to see the strength of my acid but it's the standard muratic acid by the gallon from the pool store. I wasn't able to take pictures last night as we had some thunder storms roll through. I'll see what I can come up with tonight.

Eric

Well my solution was to reduce PH, kept it in the 7.2 - 7.6 range and scale has been slowly falling off. The trick is to check often which I have been bad at doing because life can get in the way. But the lower you can keep it the better.

I did find a guy that can do blasting of calcium build up on pebble tec or pool tile which I will use before the summer to get rid of the rest of the build up. Then I'm going to try and keep the PH correct so it doesn't happen again. The guy I am going to use has a website:

http://www.pooltilecleaningtucson.com/

Eric

Well unfortunately I was out of town when I had my pebble tec blasted so didn't get any before and after pictures. The work was done and the pool looks amazing. I would highly recommend anyone who is in Tucson to use these guys to clean the calcium around your pool. They did great cleaning everything, the water line, the spa spill over, even the natural rocks I have in my pool are all clean. Was well worth the $550 I paid, much better than draining the pool and having an acid wash.

http://pooltilecleaningtucson.com/

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.