Getting a Pump/filter thats too big????

Jun 25, 2009
Loogootee, IN
I have a small intex pool pump that turns over the pool water every 4-5hrs.

My pool is surrounded with sand and the kids keep tracking sand in and the pump doesn't have enough power to run a vacuum. I tried a water hose powered vacuum but the sand is so fine that it flows right through the stocking.

With the help of Frustratedpoolmom and PaulR I have my cya in check along with all the other levels. But my pool isn't that "sparkling blue" anymore.

We are going to be getting a "real" pool next spring.

My question is, would it be ok to purchase our new pool's filtering system now, and use it on the intex pool so I can use the vacuum and suck all the junk up and get my sparkling blue pool back?

I currently have an intex cartridge system but am seriously thinking about going with the sand filter setup on the new pool, so when I suck up sand etc, it doesn't tear up the pump like the last two intex pumps I have went through in the last 2months.

Many Intex owners have sand filters. the pump is another issue - be sure it is not over matched for the filter and pool. A 3/4 hp pump works well for many pools.

Usually, the problem is that the pump is too big for the filter or plumbing. Each filter has a maximum flow rate and it is best to keep below 80% of that value to ensure maximum filtration and minimize damage. So when shopping for a pump and filter, they should be well matched or simply get a very large filter and not worry too much about it.

As for the plumbing, exceeding flow rate requirements of the PVC pipe generally will not cause a problem but it could depending on other factors. The real issue is that trying to force a lot of water through a small pipe wastes energy. Also, the plumbing fittings may or may not be able to handle the increased pressure with a large pump. Especially in a Intex system.

Also be careful with a new, more powerful pump on an Intex based pool. The Intex hoses are very cheap and thin. With a 1.0 hp or higher pump, often times the Intex hoses will cave in or crush and cause your pump to go into overdrive.

The newer Intex pools are mostly compatible with standard 1 1/2" pool hoses, so make sure you also pick up a set of quality hoses with your new pump/filter. My rule of thumb is that you should have a very hard time trying to squeeze the hose together with your thumb and finger. The more difficult it is, the stronger the hose is, and the less likely the hose will cave in on itself.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.