Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: High Alkalinity

1. Back To Top    #1

High Alkalinity

Hello!

New pool owner here. Getting everything balanced, and I'm getting really close on the proper chemistry. One item I can't seem to get back down is the Alkalinity. It's over 200. The test strip says 180 is high.

I've been looking through here and haven't found a discussion that specifically mentions high alkalinity, so I thought I would pose the question.

Thanks for any help!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: High Alkalinity

Greetings!

First off, test strips other than for measuring salt or borates are unreliable. You need a good test kit. The TF-100 (link in my sig) or the Taylor K-2006 are good.

For total alkalinity correction, try this: pool-school/lowering%20total%20alkalinity
    10K gallon IG gunite with waterfall; Pentair CC320P filter; WhisperFlo 2 HP pump
    TF Test Kits - Pool Math - Pool School
    "It depends."- JohnT

3. Back To Top    #3

Yeah, I was hoping to get back here to remove my post. I was looking at that exact article. I should rephrase my question: Short of all my other numbers looking good, will high TA (as I understand it to be now) cause any sort of problems to people swimming if that's the only level I'm seeing high. I was reading and it was saying to get the neighborhood kids in there and get to splashing.

Much appreciated.

4. Back To Top    #4

High TA doesn't cause any direct problems. What usually happens with high TA is that the PH goes up fairly rapidly, and high PH can cause problems.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

That's what I had thought, based on the article on how to lower it. Appreciate it.