LifeTime Supporter
May 11, 2009
Toronto, ON
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
I'm sure the neighbors must talk about our gurlgle noise. I don't like it much myself. This is the constant scenario:

Water comes out of the return into the pool (eyeball aimed mid way down and to the side.) I have good flow, pump is working well, skimmer is doing it's job. slowly a little vortex forms above the eye return into the pool....it slowly lenghthen until it makes connection with the return stream, then GRRRRRRR, the horrendous gurgle type noise fills the neighborhood for a few seconds and stops. REPEAT a bazillion times a day. :shock:

What is the solution? Aim the eyeball further up to ripple the water surface? Doesn't it need to aim down for proper flow?

My neighbors thank you in advance for a solution :hammer:

I've been thinking about this and it's a matter hydraulics. you have enough speed in the water coming out of the eyeball that you're creating a vortex at the surface. There should be a couple of ways to fix this.

1st. Re-aim the direction of the stream. I aim ours slightly down and toward the side of the pool.

2nd. is to lower the velocity coming out of the nozzle (buy a bigger eyeball).

3rd. is to lower the injection point. You could build a piping "periscope" using two 90º ells and turn it upside down and screw the eyeball into it.

4th. interrupt the water above the eyeball.

I tried a bunch of things this weekend. I think going with the bigger eyeball is going to do the trick, since I tried taking the eyeball out and putting it back inside out (other side is bigger.) I still have some noise, but not as much. I'm also aiming it down in the opposite direction as before. I've never tried this because it's in the direction of the skimmer, but I think I have better circulation than before. The water enters the pool and gets pushed down below the skimmer and around the pool.

Thanks for all your suggestions! :wave:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.