Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678

Thread: Why so much hate on pool store's water test?

1. Back To Top    #141

Re: Why so much hate on pool store's water test?

To homeowners and pool managers: It's ok to go to the pool store if you know what YOU'RE doing, so you can tell if the person you're buying from knows what SHE'S/HE'S doing and isn't just trying to sell you chemicals. Any test can be off, especially if you're inconsistent about taking samples. I had a customer that was getting high CYA readings and was about to drain water off their pool, but it turned out they were taking samples from the very top of the pool!

In conclusion, I want to reiterate that I am selling you chemicals, and I can confirm that we are biased sources of information. Our information comes from our sales reps and blanket coverage recommendations from testing equipment companies, and even if you get a knowledgeable "veteran", there's still a good chance they will be biased. Learn how to check us!
    Excellent advice and honest point of view, JamesCox. Thankyou for sharing this, and welcome to posting at TFP!

Maddie
    Maddie :) 12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

2. Back To Top    #142

In the Industry

To the above.

A “professional” is merely an individual who is compensated for actions.

An “expert” has an thorough command of the subject matter.

3. Back To Top    #143

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by jamescox View Post
    I would like to contribute to this thread from the perspective of a hardware store manager ... We use a Waterlink Spinlab from LaMotte. I've been pretty happy with it, but there have been times when I would test a sample twice in a row and get drastically different results. But I know when the results are off, because I talk to my customers and ask them what they've done recently, think about weather, look at previous results, etc. To me, as a hardware store manager, it's important to:

• know which equipment works best (and/or what you can afford), and the limitations of what you do have
    • know how to recognize faults in the readings
    • spend a lot of time lurking on TFP learning from all the vast experience and expertise, rather than relying on the chemical sales rep's biased information
    • teach the homeowner about pool chemistry basics, and give them the power to learn more by sending them to TFP
    • use control samples to compare results periodically to physical strip tests and other stores to check whether calibration might be needed
    • not be a jerk and just hand people the recommendations on the sheet without explaining, crossing things out, explaining timing, etc.

To homeowners and pool managers: It's ok to go to the pool store if you know what YOU'RE doing, so you can tell if the person you're buying from knows what SHE'S/HE'S doing and isn't just trying to sell you chemicals, and if you're willing to pay a premium for things you can buy at a cheaper price at grocery/hardware stores. Any test can be off, especially if you're inconsistent about taking samples. I had a customer that was getting high CYA readings and was about to drain water off their pool, but it turned out they were taking samples from the very top of the pool!

In conclusion, I want to reiterate that I am selling you chemicals, and I can confirm that we are biased sources of information. Our information comes from our sales reps and blanket coverage recommendations from testing equipment companies, and even if you get a knowledgeable "veteran", there's still a good chance they will be biased. Learn how to check us!
    Very candid post! jamescox, would you ever consider getting a TF-100 and testing precisely once and for all and not have to worry about the vagaries of your current testing?

EDIT: The depth from which the sample is taken is not particularly relative to the CYA test. Good idea to sample a foot or more deep for all tests but CYA remains uniform throughout the depth of the pool.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #144

Welcome, excellent post, and thank you!! I would go to your store any day. Here's wishing you great business this summer, and looking forward to your posts. Thanks for recommending TFP to your customers
    12k IG salt; glass beads in plaster; K-2006C, K-1766, CCL, and Aussie 4in1 (HTH); Pentair Eco800 1.2HP VS; Zodiac SWC 1.3 lb/day (25 g/hr); 25" filter recycled glass; OKU solar panels; 1/2 HP solar pump; Rebel (Warrior) pool cleaner; FlowViz; prior pool AG 10k | Read Before Posting to get the best possible advice | ... and this helped me a lot!: TFPC for Beginners

5. Back To Top    #145

TFP Guide

James, kudos to you, but I suspect you are more the exception rather than the rule. Even in your store, does anyone besides you perform water testing, and if so, do they possess the same level of expertise and professionalism that you do?
    25000 gallon free-form gunite
    Jandy Stealth pump/CL340 cartridge filter
    Pentair IC40 SWG
    Pentair MasterTemp 250HD heater
    Jandy AquaLink RS automation

6. Back To Top    #146

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh View Post
    Very candid post! jamescox, would you ever consider getting a TF-100 and testing precisely once and for all and not have to worry about the vagaries of your current testing?

EDIT: The depth from which the sample is taken is not particularly relative to the CYA test. Good idea to sample a foot or more deep for all tests but CYA remains uniform throughout the depth of the pool.
    Thanks for the clarification! I'll take your word for it. I've had conflicting information on that. As for the TF-100, we actually have an employee with a pool that has a test kit, and we compare results periodically. Our machine seems reasonably precise, and according to LaMotte, it self calibrates every test because it has a calibrating slot on the discs. But I have had some wildly inaccurate tests (obvious by the crazy results), and running it a second time usually returns accurate numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffchap View Post
    James, kudos to you, but I suspect you are more the exception rather than the rule. Even in your store, does anyone besides you perform water testing, and if so, do they possess the same level of expertise and professionalism that you do?
    Other employees run tests, but generally refer to me for questions. I am working on training my long time employees one at a time, though.

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome!
    Hardware Store Manager. Managed several apartment complex pools. Here to learn!

7. Back To Top    #147

Here’s my experience... I had my pool built and it was finished in December. I have been taking my sample to them since then and overall they always just said I had to add acid... the nerd in me decided to buy a test just to play around with and I noticed my CH was 80ppm... I took a sample in to the store again to see if they would confirm and nothing, just add acid.....

from what ive been reading, a CH that low destroys plaster pools but the pool store never told me about it..
    ~10,000 gallon in-ground diamond brite finish. Pentair superfood VS pool pump. Pentair cartridge Filter. Zodiac MX6 Vacuum. Screen enclosure. Taylor K-2006C. SWG
    pump settings
    2hr @3000 rpm, 10hr@1400rpm,2hr@2200rpm

8. Back To Top    #148

99% of pool store staff is poorly trained, never owned a pool and is there to increase sales and profit. They do not understand why you are so fussy, why you want your water clear, nor why you are panicking about your family pool party next weekend. If you rely on them to test your water then be prepared for extra unneeded over priced chemical purchases. The fact that anyone googles pool info and finds themselves here, clearly shows you have an interest in your pool. Once you gain some simple knowledge from this site you can take true ownership of your pool.

9. Back To Top    #149

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by Pool_Medic View Post
    99% of pool store staff is poorly trained, never owned a pool and is there to increase sales and profit. They do not understand why you are so fussy, why you want your water clear, nor why you are panicking about your family pool party next weekend. If you rely on them to test your water then be prepared for extra unneeded over priced chemical purchases. The fact that anyone googles pool info and finds themselves here, clearly shows you have an interest in your pool. Once you gain some simple knowledge from this site you can take true ownership of your pool.

Majority are so poorly trained, they don’t even know/realize profit is the goal.. they are just showing up & waiting for payday.

10. Back To Top    #150

Subscribing
    ~10,000 gallon in-ground diamond brite finish. Pentair superfood VS pool pump. Pentair cartridge Filter. Zodiac MX6 Vacuum. Screen enclosure. Taylor K-2006C. SWG
    pump settings
    2hr @3000 rpm, 10hr@1400rpm,2hr@2200rpm

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678