Why so much hate on pool store's water test?

Kegman

Jul 5, 2015
Central NJ
I go to my Leslie's and they are using the same product, Taylor water tests, to do the tests. Im watching their cya, their FC, etc. It all appears to be the same tests with the same stuff. Granted they don't sell the exact model you guys recommend because I had to buy it from Amazon, but they do sell and use a $80 water test from Taylor. The only thing they don't do is cc.

Re: Why so much hate on pool store's water test?

Here is another one:

14 years of pool stores and failure...

And my story is the same :( I listened and ruined my first pool listening to them. From what I know now my PH and CYA were way out of balanced which caused my liner to "rot" and crack all over the bottom and let go while I was in it!

A pool $tore is there to make money. The only way to do so is to sell stuff :( TFP is here to make pools look like jewels and people smile!

Kim:kim:

Reactions: Jferguson51

Even with the premise that the test is accurate (which I know isn't true), I'm not going to head over to Leslie's every day to have them test my water. If I had to perform a SLAM, that would require multiple trips a day. The convenience alone isn't worth it. Not to mention, I don't plan on buying anything from them so they are better off not having me waste there time testing.

But one thing I will say about there testing that is good. I got a free test bottle to use for my water sample when I run my own test.

From a recent experience, they tested my water at zero CYA last weekend. I added enough CYA based off that test to raise to 40ppm. When I got my test kit and tested it myself it was at 90ppm. Now I'm in the process of draining water to get it down. So I wasted money on chemicals and wasting time replacing water.

From a recent experience, they tested my water at zero CYA last weekend. I added enough CYA based off that test to raise to 40ppm. When I got my test kit and tested it myself it was at 90ppm. Now I'm in the process of draining water to get it down. So I wasted money on chemicals and wasting time replacing water.

:goodpost:

I was hoping someone with a recent horror story would reply!

I go to my Leslie's and they are using the same product, Taylor water tests, to do the tests. Im watching their cya, their FC, etc. It all appears to be the same tests with the same stuff. Granted they don't sell the exact model you guys recommend because I had to buy it from Amazon, but they do sell and use a $80 water test from Taylor. The only thing they don't do is cc.

It may be the same kind, but is it done correctly? Is it read correctly? Is honest and appropriate advice given? Only when you do the tests yourself will you know the answers to those questions.

How is this one to put on the pile? Hard to believe Leslie's can be so far off -

With pages after pages, years after years of evidence that few pool stores are consistently accurate, I think the better title of this thread would be "Why would anybody who has been on this forum more than a month defend Leslie's pool water testing?"

On a general basis most pool store testing is unreliable and there is no substitute for your own testing with one of the recommended test kits.

If one chooses to use the TFPC method of pool care and receive our advice about pool chemistry then it is absolutely required that one has his own test kit.

TFP and pool stores are like oil and water, they just don't mix together. That said, I get my acid from the pool store but as testing and advice from the pool store go, I stay away from the stores.

I got one from a test mistake from me not even the pool store. Before i found this forum i was using a color q and it made me add 600ppm ch telling me it was 202. With this forum i would have caught it. I'm down to 325 so im happy but without taylor test kits and this forum who knows when i would have stopped adding ch. Funny thing is my fill water is a beautiful 200ch 70ta and 7.5ph. But not to the colorq. Thks taylor and tfp!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

"Im watching their cya, their FC, etc. It all appears to be the same tests with the same stuff"

Just curious, when they do the cya test do they go outside with their back to the Sun? What do they do on cloudy days? Do they have their own sun? We don't have a Leslie's here, sure wish we did I would like a free test vile!

"Im watching their cya, their FC, etc. It all appears to be the same tests with the same stuff"

Just curious, when they do the cya test do they go outside with their back to the Sun? What do they do on cloudy days? Do they have their own sun? We don't have a Leslie's here, sure wish we did I would like a free test vile!

Obviously not. I wish my test kit told me to do that, because it doesn't

My cya was similar to theirs, my chlorine was drastically different. They said I had a lot, mine says it was way too low. They use a measurement called FAC instead of FC which might be different

For me the hang up is that it's using the same Taylor tests (not the exact same model) you guys recommended which is why I was confused.

That said, I'm doing the tfp method all summer and we'll see how it goes.

Free Available Chlorine is what FAC means. FC and FAC are one in the same, we just leave out...or they add the word avalible. Same exact result.

Give the TFP way a chance, and it will seem too easy to be true, but it isn't. A well maintained and properly treated pool is a breeze to run, and very stable. You'll see, I promise.

You saw with your own eyes them do the exact same test as you and come out with a drastically different result. I can't imagine a better example for you.

Since you know the kit is good, then clearly it is user error. Now you can argue that it only proves that someone made an error and that it could be you. But here is the thing, a TFP member has a vested interest in getting their testing right. We all mess it up here and there, no question, but we have to live with the results so we will take that little extra time. The employees at Leslie's have a vested interest in putting some numbers down, get you to buy something, and get to the next customer. They might care whether their numbers are off or not, but they aren't paid to be accurate in their testing. And at the end of the day, you are just one customer of dozens they will test today. If your pool is clear, great. If not, well they will see you soon and happily ring up more sales. Either way they win. Given all that it is not difficult to understand why we will trust even a brand new person to test their water over a pool store any day. The endless examples of trash testing by pool stores are just nails in an already well closed coffin.

I too had Leslie’s provide a less than accurate CYA result. As I was transitioning over to TFP and waiting for my test kit (using a basic OTO Chlorine & PH tester) I took a fresh sample to Leslie’s to get the other values to use the Pool Math calculator.

Leslie’s had my CYA at 40 and I used that in my calculations. I seriously thought that maybe TFP wasn’t going to work for me because I was losing a lot of chlorine each day in the Vegas sun and dashing to the store to buy jug after jug of chlorine had me concerned.

Well my test kit arrives and what do you know… I can see the dot clearly after filling the test solution all the way to the top!
I tested it over and over because I thought since this was all new to me *I* must be doing something wrong.
Nope, minimal CYA...no wonder I was constantly adding chlorine. Now that I actually have CYA in my water, keeping the chlorine level is very manageable.

Lastly, the following comment from a Leslie’s employee after I asked about their price and strength of their liquid chlorine was:

Leslie’s “Oh you don’t want to use liquid chlorine – you’d just be throwing your money away in our climate. Stick to the weekly shock with the powder and use the pucks”

My response: “Wont those raise my CYA?”

Leslie’s: “The pucks will but the powdered shock is negligible. With our hard water you’ll be draining and refilling the pool in 2-3 years anyway."

I still have a bottle of Leslie's Perfect Weekly in my garage that reminds me not to get duped again. I check this site first with any issues - not them. :D

They actually said a fairly true statement on the 'hard water' here in the southwest. The rise in your CH over time will require a drain and refill in about 2 years, if not sooner. I can go about 18 months here in Laughlin. Then my CH is 1000 ppm. At that point, the CSI is very difficult to manage and time to drain.

Take care.

They actually said a fairly true statement on the 'hard water' here in the southwest. The rise in your CH over time will require a drain and refill in about 2 years, if not sooner. I can go about 18 months here in Laughlin. Then my CH is 1000 ppm. At that point, the CSI is very difficult to manage and time to drain.

Take care.

Have you ever checked out Reverse Osmosis? it may pencil for you guys in the desert.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.