Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: plumbing test pressure

1. Back To Top    #1

plumbing test pressure

What is the proper plumbing test pressure and for what duration. I ask because I tested my two skimmers at around 20 psi and the skimmer extension (the female fitting where my piping attaches to) has developed hairline cracks on each skimmer. I will need to pull out each skimmer and replace/re-pipe. The piping that I installed is fine. Is it normal to test the skimmer piping as I did?

Thanks,
    Mark
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: plumbing test pressure

When I do a pressure test I only go to around 10-15 psi, and then watch to see if the needle drops. if you can see the cracks why not throw some plast-aid on there? It works very well. http://www.plast-aid.com/
    -Kevin
    X-Pert Pool Service
    x-pertpool.com
    X-Pert Pool on Facebook and @XPertPoolServic on Twitter
    22,000 gal / 16' x 32' / Vinyl / Hayward s244t /Pentair SuperFlo 1 hp

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: plumbing test pressure

New pools are generally pressure tested to at least 35 PSI. If you know your normal dirty filter pressure, you should at least test to that level if not slightly higher.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater, ThePoolCleaner