Pump problems

Jul 8, 2007
Sacramento, CA
Hi,

I have a Hayward, 1.5 hp pump. It must be 20 years old by the looks of the pool and other equipment...could be even older. I've been living here for five, and its usually worked well. I had the bearings replaced in it two years ago as they were getting noisy.

Anyway...today, the pump is no longer moving water. I can hear the pump come on, there are no clogs in the line that I can see, there is water in the pump inlet filter that is attached to the front of the pump. I don't see anything wrong. But not one drop of water is moving. Its as is the blades (that I guess) would be responsible for moving the water, aren't moving themselves.

Is this something that is reparable...or is it time to have a decent burial and get a new one?

Thanks!

Does the breaker trip if you let it run for a few minutes? That would indicate a frozen shaft in the motor.

A fully clogged impeller is a possibility.

I would kill the power to it and break it open and see how the impeller is doing and if the shaft will turn.

Please let us know what you find 8)

So my brother-in-law came over Saturday. He has more experience with pools and electric motors than I do.

At first he wasn't sure and tried a few things, with no luck. Then he stuck the hose into the hole that holds the screening basket attached to the pump. He quickly closed it tight as I turned on the poop pump. It worked! :whoot: He is guessing there was a leak in the screw cap causing a lack of pressure to build. I've had that as a problem before...but I could hear a whistling sound...this time, nothing.

Sunday it didn't come on...but then I wasn't home much...and it was simply the auto-switch wasn't in place to turn on. So tonight I turn it on. Same symptom as before...motor is humming, but no water is pumping through. (there was no pressure showing on the gauge).

So I go through the same steps as the BIL, no go. So I unscrewed the cap and took the rubber gasket off. I cleaned it and the cap and replaced it...doing the same water dumping that my BIL did two days ago. Still doesn't work. :hammer:

Could that rubber washer be shot? It's just odd that it worked one day, then didn't the next without being touched (weekend before last) and now its happening again...working Saturday then not today...without anything being touched.

Help!

Good advice given so far. I understand you to be saying that the pump motor is humming but the impeller is not turning. On a limb here, but I suspect what your BIL did gave the impeller a bump and allowed it to start. Leading suspects here are: 1) clogged impeller 2) bad start capacitor. In either case, pump could decide to run after a bump. It needs to be pulled and diagnosed. This means an experienced DIY or a pro. If you really want to do it yourself, first step is to be sure shaft and impeller are turning freely, then go from there. Given the age, bum start capacitor is a distinct possibility if shaft/impeller are free to turn.

The work one day, not work the next is not unusual in electrical problems--nor is your frustration. It means that the problem is on the cusp of being severe enough to cause the motor to fail to start. Many things behave that way, including clogs, relays and capacitors and also connection problems. Cars are even worse.

Thanks Durk :cheers:

I took the motor off this evening and the impeller is neither clogged, jammed or broken as it spins freely.

So I am going to give the BIL a chance at fixing it, (he works in a motor shop) or take it to a pool shop. The electrical cable is still attached to the box, but I do have the breaker shut off.

In the meantime, my pool turns green.... :hammer:

My BIL and I looked at it tonight...the diffuser is broken. (see diagram, part broken is in blue)

Now the question is...was it broken before I took the motor apart, or when I took the motor apart. :mrgreen: We had it pumping water once (so no clogged line)...but couldn't get it running again. It's like its trying to suck water through a long narrow straw. Which it is...it's just like the straw is longer and narrower now.

So I need to replace that, then we'll try it again.

Attachments

• pool motor diagram.JPG
    pool motor diagram.JPG
    68.3 KB · Views: 168

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just to follow up...

The pump is so old, no one makes parts for it anymore...but my BIL did find someone in San Diego who has one...so it's in route. In the meantime, he epoxied that (for lack of a better term) collar back onto the diffuser plate and we re-installed it last night.

I have water pumping! :whoot:

So hopefully the bandaid will hold until the new part arrives. In the meantime, time to start turning the water blue again. I dumped a bottle of algicide in there this morning, and more work this evening.

I want to thank everyone who offered advice on my problem. :cheers:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.