Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: to spend or not to spend?

1. Back To Top    #1

to spend or not to spend?

Hi, I'm back from last year and about ready to set the pool up.
    We have a little intex soft-side, and last year all I did was keep it up with bleach (1000 thanks to this site!). This year I was considering going a little bit bigger, but (and this will be more funny to mommys out there who have "preggo brain" that has lasted a bit longer than expected) the new pool I was considering is 15'x36" and according to my siggy here, the one that is in my shed waiting to be put up is 15'x30", so hardly worth upsizing (although I could have sworn that last year's pool was only about 12' across...).
    ANYWAY.
    new pool or no, I need a much bigger pump and filter. The one that came with the pool and I used last year just didn't work. So I'm thinking of a salt water system.
    I see on ebay a SWG with 2000gph pump/filter for $279. That much pump is probably overkill for my little pool, yes?
    However, to buy it separately, it's $169 for the SWG and then either $45 for a 1000gph pump or $90 for a 1500gph pump.

SO- Do I just buy a bigger filter pump and continue with my bleach routine from last year? Or do I spring for the SWG/Pump and figure I may someday get a bigger pool and need the extra firepower?

*I really have no desire to go over 30-36" because of the ages/sizes of my kids, so a bigger pool is not really something I forsee anytime soon.
    proseries Metal frame, 26 x 52 -purchased, installing soon

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: to spend or not to spend?

Long term you are going to want a better filter than any of the Intex filters. You might not be able to afford it right now, but you will want it eventually. Because of that, I see a significant advantage to getting a SWG that is separate, and is not integrated with the pump/filter. A separate SWG will work with the future filter, and it doesn't seem to cost you anything extra right now to get a separate one, so that seems like a simple choice to me.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

thanks Jason. I just found a few old threads about the intex SWG and it seems like even with mixed reviews it would be worth getting and be a peice of equipment that would "graduate" up to larger pools.

So quick last question... for the 15'x30" pool, what size filter pump? I think the awful little thing I had last year was the 530gph model. Is the 1000gph ok for the approx 3000 gal capacity of this pool?

4. Back To Top    #4

Yes, the 1000 gph pump should be fine.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

awesome, ordering now! I hadn't thought about the disadvantages of having the combo swg/filterpump, so thanks again for pointing that out to me!