Deck over? or level? or under? the Top Plate

TechnoGeek

Jul 13, 2016
Terre Haute, Indiana
I'm trying to decide if I should build my new deck over the top plate, at the same Level, or under the edge.
I understand there "Must" be room for the Winter Cover of at least an inch gap.
Allowing for this gap it seems to me hanging over would be best.
The cover could easily fit in between the 1 inch gap.
When the liner did need replaced, it wouldn't be to invasive to drill a 1/4" hole for the screwdriver to undo the top plate screws. Then the top plate worked out the 1 inch gap.
My primary concern is the deck boards at the edge pulling up or dropping lower.

My primary reason to not be level or Under the top plate is I do not think that plate could withstand the kids standing or jumping from it.
I'm pretty worried it may bend and then wrinkle the side wall, which most likely be a Rapid water draining event.

So, please give me your opinions or experience on this over, level, under issue.
Any input will help!
Thank You!

I'm trying to decide if I should build my new deck over the top plate, at the same Level, or under the edge.
I understand there "Must" be room for the Winter Cover of at least an inch gap.
Allowing for this gap it seems to me hanging over would be best.
The cover could easily fit in between the 1 inch gap.
When the liner did need replaced, it wouldn't be to invasive to drill a 1/4" hole for the screwdriver to undo the top plate screws. Then the top plate worked out the 1 inch gap.
My primary concern is the deck boards at the edge pulling up or dropping lower.

My primary reason to not be level or Under the top plate is I do not think that plate could withstand the kids standing or jumping from it.
I'm pretty worried it may bend and then wrinkle the side wall, which most likely be a Rapid water draining event.

So, please give me your opinions or experience on this over, level, under issue.
Any input will help!
Thank You!
I put mine over the top rail and then I put the small pool noodles between the top rail and the deck boards. Works like a charm.

I had the same dilemma when I was considering building a deck around my pool. The consensus that I saw was most were either above the rail or even with the rail, with fewer going underneath. In the end it seemed it came down to personal preference. Everybody had a valid reason for doing what they did. That said I haven't build my deck yet.
Build the way you want and train the kids to use the pool appropriately. They follow the rules or don't swim. Flat out tell them that if they jump off the top and they break the pool it will collapse and then they won't have a pool to swim in.
Good luck with your decision and don't pull your hair out deciding

I decided to put ours underneath the top rail. However, our top rail is load rated to stand on. It's been that way for almost nine years and there's no damage.

I left a small gap between the deck boards and the rail so I could get a winter cover between them. It takes less than a quarter of an inch to get the cover under there.

So there you have it. :mrgreen: More confusion.

Figure out what you like and go from there.

I would also think that having the deck under the top rail would allow you to easily change the liner when it becomes time rather than having to take the deck apart to get to it. However it was nice to hear the pros and cons of where to place it.

Reactions: tconnor8
i put mine under the top rail with no issues. i also wanted it under for the same reason Bama stated so i can get my winter cover and the wire under the small gap between the deck boards and top rail.

- - - Updated - - -

Pic of my deck under the top rail.

The extra couple inches of height is nice to jump off of. With the steps its really easy to get in and out of even our 3 year old can do it without any problems. I certainly don't notice it, but the top step is right around 10-12 inches in rise which is definitely a big step. For the older crowd or people with physical injuries / aliments I could see how they might find it uncomfortable.

For reference the fascia board on the deck is a pressure treated 2x8.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
we built our deck higher than our pool and did not fit it to the rail shape. that makes it so that if we ever decide to go to a rectangle pool, we won't have to rebuild. hubby made a small drop down bracket under the front edge that our ladder connects to since it made it impossible to attach a normal ladder to the deck and still have it reach the pool floor...it is very nice for us and we like it a lot... that being said, we don't have kids at our house often so that was not in our decision making process...
P1010005.jpg

Thank you for your comments.
But seems there is no real answer other than personal preference.
Dang it. I was hoping someone would give good reasons or bad reasons to try to change my mind.
I'm kind of a scaredy cat at design, alway think that later I would think I should have done it Option B. or C or D, or......

I've had the same thoughts as I go into my second season with my first pool. No time to build the deck after building the pool last summer because we spent the summer swimming! So I have had a lot of time to ponder the pro's and con's of this topic. I've decided to go with functionality over looks. The above plate is certainly pleasing to the eye but in the long run not functional. To change the liner out, I will have to remove the top plates to get to the wall. Every winter I have to remove two top plates to get to the AGP pool lights our, preventive maintenance done on them and stored indoors for the winter and reinstall in the spring. The lid to the water return would require a round cut out with a constructed lid for access in the above plate method. So while attractive, the above plate option provides no ease of maintenance.

So I'm going for ease of functionality. So I'm going with butting the edge to the plate or under the plate.

I'm in total agreement with Dave above.

Get those kids under control. Teach them. This is a no step plate. No swimming if they do. If the don't and something breaks, no pool to swim in. Period. Kids must be taught there are consequences with certains actions in life. You're in charge, not them!

I went even with the rail but added a ring of deck boards around the pool so that I could remove them easily if needed for access. I'm still working on keeping the grandkids off the top rail even though this pool is supposedly rated to handle it. I'd rather they stay off, though.

37144228834_60a4712351_c.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.