First year with BBB

Jun 28, 2009
Been watching this site for a while and want to comment that the BBB method is a great discovery.

I used the method to open the pool this year and it tooka a week or so to start clearing up the water.

I have been using one of the HTH test kits to test the water. I alos have been going to a local pool store to see how the tests line up

Backgound

Inground pool
Sand filter
27,000 gallons
Vinyl Liner

Test Results

FAC 3
PH 7.4
TA 100
CYA 25
TDS 600
Phosphates 500

I brush the pool 3 to 4 times per week and vacum it at least once a week.

The pool is slightly cloudy, can see bottom in deep end.

Pool supply store says to add conditioner and phosfree

Thoughts or comments

Thanks

Jay

What is your CH? Just because you don't need high levels of calcium doesn't mean you don't need to know what the level is (espeically when there is clouding) although I suspect the prolem is that your CYA is a bit low. Bump it up to 40 ppm. Also, do you have any CC? I would recommend investing in a good test kit that uses the FAS-DPD testing method.
You don't need phosfree. That is a scam.

Ok I added conditioner to bring my CYA up to 40 ppm

We have been having a lot of rain the last few days and my water has turned a light green. I raised the chlorine level up to 5ppm and have been brushing the pool each day.

Last night I checked the PH and it was 7.0 so I added borax to the pool over night the PH went to 7.6.

Filter had been running for two days.

Any thoughts or ideas

A full set of #'s - (make sure they include the CC & CH - see waterbear's post).

Do you have a main drain? How is the circulation in the deep end?

It would be very helpful if you listed your pool and equipment specs in your sig.
Go to User Control Panel (upper left under TFP logo) select Profile, then Edit Sig. :wink:

The best thing you can do is invest in either the TF100 or the K-2006, as they have the FAS-DPD chlorine test. Using that you can determine if your FC is holding overnight. I suspect that its not, which would explain the cloudy water which turned green, which indicates that you need to shock your pool. Shocking your pool with a CYA of 40 would mean raising the FC level to 16. Your current test can't go that high.

I would use the Pool Calculator to determine how much bleach it will take to raise your FC to 16, and add the bleach. In the meantime, order one of the kits. You won't regret it. :wink:

Ok Thanks

I updated my signature with information.

Pool does not have a center drain. I have been brushing the deep end a couple of times each day.

Numbers from Pool Store

FAC 5 plus
PH 7.8
TA 110
CYA 40
TDS 700
Calcium Hardness 200
phosphates 500

The pool is still slight green.

I have had trouble using the pool calculator to determine how much bleach to add.

Thanks

On the Pool Calculator if you put in your gallons, then put 5 in the "now" column and 16 in the "target" column, hit calculate, move your cursor over the "ounces" it tells you to add, that will tell you how many jugs, cups, etc.. Make sure you enter 6 % or whatever strength bleach you have, and the right jug size. Bleach comes in 96 and 182 oz containers, the strong stuff comes in 128 oz containers.

Thanks for the tips on using the calculator, it works now for me.

Now I am off to the store to get more bleach.

Anyone else notice how fast the large containers seem to fly off the shelf at the store.

A question on timing after I raise the level up, how long before it settles down to be able to swim in it?

Thanks

Jay

High FC levels are not the issue with swimming, if your water still has algae and bacteria, (evidenced by the green cloudy water) the resulting CCs from that being oxidized will be irritating to the swimmer.

You need to wait until your FC holds overnight, your CC is .5 or less before you are done shocking. Then you can swim. As for safe FC levels, anything above your "min" and up to "shock" levels for your CYA are safe.

Well I added the amount of bleach to bring the level up t a shock level.

Green is gone but water is still cloudy.

Been brushing it a couple of times a day.

Pump is running 24 hours.

I need to order a better test kit so I can post accurate numbers.

Ph is 7.6
Clorine is off my current scale
CYA is still around 40.

Thanks

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.