High CYA reading after refill.

chris4150

LifeTime Supporter
Hello all,

Of those who have read my previous post know the issues I was having with staining. I recently had my pool drained and an acid wash conducted and now my pool plaster is stain free :party:

Now its time to balance my water again. I went ahead and took a sample to Warehouse Pool supply and all numbers were good except my CH was 30 and my CYA 60 :scratch:

If my pool was drained and refilled would I have a CYA level that high ? My CYA level never got that high the previous 6 months that I had my pool even with running TriChlor tabs in the inline feeder wide open.

I have the T-100 test kit but Im low on regent for CYA.

As always, yalls input is greatly appreciated.

Talk to yall then :cop:

It is possible for there to be CYA crystalized in the plumbing, so it reappears after your drain and refill. However, that is quite unusual and really only happens when the previous CYA level was way way above 100. I think that it is far more likely that the pool store test results are simply completely wrong.

Im at a loss. Conducted water test with T-100. Earlier pool store test stated CYA 60, even after entire pool refill. Was also told TA was 230. Therefore, I added 2 gallons of MA this afternoon. My results of the T-100 show that:

TA 230
CYA 0
PH 7.5

How can my TA be the same 8 hours later after dispensing the MA. Also, what gives with the CYA. Pool store error or is my test regent bad? Kits only a few months old.

Trust the TF100, and completely ignore what the pool store told you. It makes sense that your CYA is zero, and the difference in the TA test results is very small. Just move on from here doing your own testing and everything will be fine.

I am assuming that the pool store TA result is wrong, thus the lack of difference. Though you should do the wipe the tip with a damp tissue check, as Butterfly suggested, to be sure yours are correct. In any case, the difference from adding 2 gallons of muriatic acid should have been about 75, which indicates a testing error in one or both of the tests, but not as dramatic an error as it might have been.

You should assume that the pool store results are totally wrong and not be surprised that your results are inconsistent with theirs. It is amazingly common for pool store water test results to be completely wrong. There are some great pool stores in the world, but there are many more bad ones.

I added another 5 quarts of MA and after 4 hours took a reading and wiped down the droppers during the test. My TA reading is now 160. Thats a total of 13 quarts of MA in 24 hours for a drop from 230 to 160. Is this normal or a bit abnormal for such a slow drop given the amount of acid added. The side effect of the addition of the MA is that my PH is at 6.8. But as we speak Im airating with the spa over flow and two fountain sprayers. Any ideas and should I continue to lower my TA to an acceptible range.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Lowering TA is a slow process. You are moving along much more quickly than most people do. Be careful not to add too much muriatic acid at one time. You don't want the PH going below 6.8. Since the test will report levels below 6.8 as if they were 6.8 you need to pay attention when adding acid.

If by adding the 415 oz of MA, it should have lowered my TA by 120 thus resulting in a possible TA of 90. However, I believe the effect of adding such, according to the chart, would have been considering a single dose of 415 oz of MA. But my additon of MA has been over a 24 hour period. Im just trying to figure why my TA has only lowered to 160. A variance of almost 70 ppm from what it should have dropped to versus what the test kit states it is currently at. Im concerned though that I may accidently bottom out my PH.

Didn't you just assume that the pool store TA test was correct? You should not believe any test result from the pool store. We already know that your starting TA was well above 230, because your TA after adding 2 gallons of acid was 230.

The only TA change you can verify is the recent addition of 5 quarts of acid with a starting TA of 230, which should have lowered the TA to about 180, so you are doing better than expected.

It makes sense since my entire pool was just refilled and they tell me my CYA is 60 :hammer:

I am having the hardest time getting my PH up in order to add more MA. Im now at 160 TA and my PH is now at 7.2. I guess my PH had been knocked down below 6.8 when my original dose of MA was induced. Ive been airating for almost 2 days now :grrrr:

Chris

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.