vinyl liner question??

Jun 28, 2009
I could find no other place to ask this so I thought this would be the closest to correct. I am a newbie so hello all!! I have had heck with my pool for the past 2 years and am getting under control as we speak. I see the light at the end of the tunnel thanks to Denali and chem geek on another forum....now for the doozie...I have a grit like scale all over my pool liner..I have used store purchased pool chemicals for many years and never have had this until last year and now....I have started the BBB method which is going to make it where I can swim this year..this is a first. So back to the stuff on the liner....how do I know what it is and how do I remove it?? Or do I need to buy a new liner?

Not sure.

It could be scale from high PH/high CH, it forms little calcium deposits on the liner.

If you could post a full set of test results please, and your source for testing (pool store, strips, etc.)

You can try keeping your PH at 7.2 for awhile and brushing with a nylon brush, hopefully this will make them dissolve. If it is calcium scale.

Sometimes replacing the liner is the only option.

Laughing no I see the light!!! As far as test results this was there last year and I just gave up due to the issues with the water, the Tick poor employess at the pool place and the pool...here are the results I got a few days ago.. .
SI -.52
total dossolved solids 250
fc 0
tc .2
ph 7.6
cya 7
copper 0
iron 0
\ta 32
ch 191
I have no idea if any of this helps...and it comes off but it is not easy to remove...

Please don't be offended but the pink italic is very hard on the eyes. If you can just use the default font it would be appreciated.

Your TA is too low, you should raise it with Baking Soda. After you get the TA up to about 80, you will need some Muratic Acid, to lower the PH down to 7.2 . You'll want to keep the PH at 7.2 for awhile which hopefully will make the scale easier to remove.

Do you know how to use the Pool Calculator?

You need your own test kit. This will allow you to monitor these levels closely, and it will keep you out of the pool store. :wink:

You need Stabilizer (CYA) and chlorine.

Read the following Pool School articles: Recommended Levels, The Pool Calculator, How to Chlorinate your Pool, and Test Kits Compared.

Click on the Pool School tab at the top right of your screen.

frustratedpoolmom said:
Please don't be offended but the pink italic is very hard on the eyes. If you can just use the default font it would be appreciated.
No offense taken..I have old eyes too...
Your TA is too low, you should raise it with Baking Soda. After you get the TA up to about 80, you will need some Muratic Acid, to lower the PH down to 7.2 . You'll want to keep the PH at 7.2 for awhile which hopefully will make the scale easier to remove.
Everything has been stabilized since that reading..I should have posted tis..sorry. I used baking soda and after the many backwashes my ph fell way way down so I had to bring it back up...Do you know how to use the Pool Calculator?
Yes I have been using it....
You need your own test kit. This will allow you to monitor these levels closely, and it will keep you out of the pool store. :wink:
Laughing I ordered one on Friday...no more pool store for me. I made them stand behind a guaranteed product laughing...took me 2 years but I got my money back this week...turds..You need Stabilizer (CYA) and chlorine.

Read the following Pool School articles: Recommended Levels, The Pool Calculator, How to Chlorinate your Pool, and Test Kits Compared.
I will go there and read them now, I had read them prior but will reread.
Click on the Pool School tab at the top right of your screen.
So there is a chance this Crud will come off with a level ph???

I think I know what you are talking about. We bought our house with a pool in bad shape. The liner was torn up in the shallow end, water was only in the deep end and it was a swamp....literally. I had to pull 5 big bull frogs out before the liner was replaced. Anyway, the ripped old liner had what you are talking about. The ladder in the deep end has it as well. The ladder was never removed. Since our liner was replaced, and we've been using it, the deposits have been slowly shrinking off the ladder. The metal that was submerged was completely covered, and now there is only about half of it left.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.