Beginner with Small Easyset pool-help!

For each of last two days (and only last two days) I added one ounce dichlor. Monday I added 1 cup of bleach (was .5 Cl at the time) and Tuesday I added 1/4 cup.

This morning the water is clear, but I'm concerned about the chlorine level. It is 5 (or higher). pH is 7.2 to 7.5. Other than taking off the cover all day, is there anything I should do to lower the chlorine level, or do I just wait for it to be used up? Is there a level at which it is unsafe to swim -- am I there?

Thanks for any help. Leaving in 1/2 hour if anyone has a chance to give any input. Thanks!

By using 1 oz of Dichlor each day for 10 days - we are slowly building your CYA level up to 40. Look at the CYA chart - you'll see your recommended FC levels - between 3 and 5.

So each nite, you'll test with the OTO. You should see a residual of 3 or so, and then you add enough bleach to target 5. Testing in the evening and adding bleach allows the bleach to work overnight without interference from the sun....and targeting a little extra gives you a residual for the entire next day.

So keep it above 3, your minimum recommended level, at all times and target 5 for your dosing, each night.

You aren't seeing 3 in the evening now, because the CYA level hasn't built up high enough yet. Once the 10 day-1 ounce Dichlor is done, you should see the chlorine holding better...

For any Easy-Set or Intex owners who came to this string for help, you might also find this other string helpful. Had I found it originally I may not have ever posted (and started this string). I'm having trouble figuring out how to link to it, but search this TFP site for "simplifying BBB for very small pools eg. intex". Has a bit of a step by step to get you going so you can swim in it right after set up.

Happy Swimming -- and, if you are contemplating becoming a "Very Small Pool Owner," consider buying the next size bigger because if you're like me you'll regret going too small.

crek31 said:
For any Easy-Set or Intex owners who came to this string for help, you might also find this string helpful. Had I found it originally I may not have ever posted (and started this string). I'm having trouble figuring out how to link to it, but search this TFP site for "simplifying BBB for very small pools eg. intex". Has a bit of a step by step to get you going so you can swim in it right after set up.

Happy Swimming -- and, if you are contemplating becoming a "Very Small Pool Owner," consider buying the next size bigger because if you're like me you'll regret going too small.

But its not finished yet! :mrgreen:

Glad you are now enjoying your (too small) Trouble Free Pool. :wink: :goodjob:

FPM - just a suggestion, and I certainly don't mean to intrude, but: something that might warrant a sentence or two is discussing the hth test kit which is recommended -- on its sample collector/color guide thing it shows the oto (yellow) as giving a reading for "Cl". Most of the target guides on here, however, use FC. Complete novices like me might get confused (I was/am) about whether my reading on the hth test showing a "Cl" reading of 3, for example, is the same as meeting the suggestion that FC be 3. For some of us who have browsed around the site, including Pool School, etc, to get a basic understanding, we actually know a little too much or by far not enough to feel comfortable making judgment calls like if Cl and FC readings are apples to apples in the context of caring for a small pool. Just spell out if they Cl and FC are identical, or if they are different but their difference is insignificant for purposes of Intex users. Not being critical, just sharing from my newbie perspective.

I really liked the shopping list, however -- very useful!

Thanks again for all the time you give this site!

FPM -- more thoughts on what us new kids might want in the Very Small Pool article:

1. Allay fears about turning our cute little blonde girls' hair green -- I now understand (I think) that if I do BBB I won't have the copper or other stuff that causes the greening -- good to have known up front

2 In addition to telling us target readings and how to get there, give a down and dirty about when NOT to use the pool -- ie, if there is a reading that mandates emptying or that mandates some treatment to take effect before kids are allowed back in. Some of us who are the type to find this site in the first place tend toward the overly-cautious and it would help us to know the info about when to require strict compliance versus when we can just dump in a little Chlorox or dichlor and enjoy a great swimming day even if the numbers aren't perfect.

Thanks again, and feel free to tell me to butt out!

Not going to tell you to butt out. :mrgreen:

It's firsthand experiences like yours that make this forum what it is, and will make the article what it will be. :goodjob:

Thanks for sharing.

The OTO test - FC and the CL aren't the same, the OTO only tests Total Chlorine. Our logic is in such a small pool if there is a problem, try shocking or dump and refill, so it isn't as important to be as precise as a pool with 10,000 gallons or more water for example.

The main thing with the Intex pools if you start off on the right foot, and maintain proper FC, chances are good you won't ever get green or CCs, and you can then safely assume the chlorine reading on the OTO IS free chlorine. Gotta be diligent though. :wink:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks for this thread and I look forward to reading the Pool School for small pools. We just bought a 12'x36" AG "pop up" pool the other day. So far we're loving it, but I'm just now getting to the chemical stage and reading about what is necessary. The instructions that came with my kit were unnecessarily confusing IMO so I came here looking for help. And I found it!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.