Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: AGP depth 52 or 54 best for playing vball etc?

1. Back To Top    #1
    Vernon, BC Canada - Pool is in Maricopa AZ (currently a holiday place)

AGP depth 52 or 54 best for playing vball etc?

We have two kids (10 and 12) and are purchasing an oval AGP. We're going with a flat bottom and want to set up to play volleyball etc.

What depth do you experienced owners recommend?

Part of me thinks that the deeper the water is the better, but I'm a little concerned a 54 inch side will be too deep for them to stand and play in.

Any suggestions?
    Inground 12500 gallon 96 foot perimeter, 24 by 24 pool (6 by 24 of which is a "wet deck" or tanning ledge), intellibrite in spa and pool, 2 pentair LED bubblers in tanning ledge, built in table in pool, spillover spa, pebble radiance, Pentair Mastertemp 400K BTU heater, Blue Square Q360 infloor cleaner, VS2050 pump, auto leveler, Pentair easytouch 4 with wireless controller, Pentair 420 filter, custom natural gas firepit with cobalt glass.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: AGP depth 52 or 54 best for playing vball etc?

Our 52" deep pool has a water depth of 46" so I assume a 54" deep one will have a depth of 48". I don't think 2" is gonna make a big difference either way. That's just my opinion.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

I've got to measure the kids when they wake up! I wasn't sure of the difference between the wall side and the depth, do you have much flexibility in how much depth or do most pools have the skimmers set up for the minimum to be as you describe?

Thanks for answering, there seems to be lots of experience here!
    Inground 12500 gallon 96 foot perimeter, 24 by 24 pool (6 by 24 of which is a "wet deck" or tanning ledge), intellibrite in spa and pool, 2 pentair LED bubblers in tanning ledge, built in table in pool, spillover spa, pebble radiance, Pentair Mastertemp 400K BTU heater, Blue Square Q360 infloor cleaner, VS2050 pump, auto leveler, Pentair easytouch 4 with wireless controller, Pentair 420 filter, custom natural gas firepit with cobalt glass.

4. Back To Top    #4

I have a 52. 2 inches does make a difference, suprisingly. I know this from when it rains and the water goes up to the top rail over the top of the skimmer.

I have an 11 year old - If you can I'd go with the 54.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by frustratedpoolmom
    2 inches does make a difference, suprisingly.

If you can, I'd go with the 54.
    Listen to NLF-PM (no longer frustrated Pool mom) I wouldn't mind ours being a little deeper but then the GS couldn't stand on the bottom. He's only 7.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

You need to be sure you research each pool model individually - different brands and models have the skimmer in different depths, therefore your actual water depth will be different. Some have the skimmer set very far down the pool wall so the water depth is much shallower than you would guess just from wall height. Your water depth will be anywhere from 1/2 way up the skimmer to 1/4" from the top of the skimmer. You may also dish out your pool end or center just a bit so the depth changes there as well - this can be done even with a JHook or beaded liner if stretched in/done properly on a very sunny day -
    18x33x52 Buttressfree Seaspray (Wilbar) AGP - 1.5hp Pentair Maxim w/22" Pentair Meteor Sand Filter, Aqua Rite SWG System, Biltmore Walk In Steps - 2/4x20 Solar Panel Setup - Doheny Jet Drive (RIP -Pool Rover Jr) - finally hard plumbed the whole darned thing -
    Beats Driving to the Lake!

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks - that makes sense that it's all about the skimmer. I'll put that on the (growing) list of things to pay attention to! My brain is about to explode.

8. Back To Top    #8

We have a 52'. I watched the three boys (8,10 and 12) playing b-ball in the pool this weekend. The height is good and this year the 8 year old can stand comfortably without getting water in his mouth.
    15' x 24' x 52" Buttressfree Concorde (Atlantic) ABG installed 2007, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1 speed Pump, Royal Entrance Steps, Clear Solar Blanket, New Deck, and maybe soon a heater.

9. Back To Top    #9

My 54" is just under 48" high. I'm sure I can top it off at 48", but that's pushing it.

It does seem odd to me that a 54" pool is 48" high. Yes, it seems to be all about the skimmer. Good luck.

Personally, I'd go with the 54".
    18' x 54" Round AG 7500 gallon w/small prefab 2-piece fandeck
    Waterways 200sf Cartridge Filter, 1.5 hp 2-speed pump. 2" pvc piping
    Pool Pilot Total Control swg w/acid tank feeder
    Pool Rover Jr., BBB, TF 100 test kit