Dirt/Water draining into pool thru tile after heavy rains

Jul 5, 2007
I have an inground gunite pool with tile around the rim. The gunite looks to be in pretty bad shape, a few tiles are missing and lots of grout (particularly between the tile and the concrete deck) is cracked or missing.

Everytime their is heavy rain my pool would turn green, eventually I figured out that it was not an algae problem, but water was draining into the pool underneath the concrete deck and through the tile, carrying a large amount of dirt with it. If you get close up to the edge of the pool you can watch the dirt being carried into the pool, and from far away you could watch the "dirt cloud" as it spread across the pool.

So my questions are:

Is this a entirely a drainage problem that I should attempt to correct (fixing the tile area of the pool won't help)?
Is this a problem with the tile that will be solved if the pool is retiled?
Is there a problem behind the tile that is going to cost me a lot of money when the pool is redone?
Or do I need to fix everything?

mdamico said:
I have an inground gunite pool with tile around the rim. The gunite looks to be in pretty bad shape, a few tiles are missing and lots of grout (particularly between the tile and the concrete deck) is cracked or missing.

Everytime their is heavy rain my pool would turn green, eventually I figured out that it was not an algae problem, but water was draining into the pool underneath the concrete deck and through the tile, carrying a large amount of dirt with it. If you get close up to the edge of the pool you can watch the dirt being carried into the pool, and from far away you could watch the "dirt cloud" as it spread across the pool.

So my questions are:

Is this a entirely a drainage problem that I should attempt to correct (fixing the tile area of the pool won't help)?
It's drainage....water needs to run AWAY from the pool

Is this a problem with the tile that will be solved if the pool is retiled?
No. I think your tile needs to be replaced/repaired, but I think the water into the pool has to be solved first

Is there a problem behind the tile that is going to cost me a lot of money when the pool is redone?
Or do I need to fix everything?
That's pretty hard to say, but it sure sounds like you need a major repair

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.