Little bit confused about what to do next

aqualicious

LifeTime Supporter
May 22, 2009
Ontario, Canada
We finally got everything working and hooked up.

I added 500g of CYA in the sock which has already dissolved and last night had thrown in 2 L of 6% bleach to get things going.

This morning my numbers are

.4 FC
.4 CC
CYA just added
TA 225
PH 7.5

I realize I now have to shock my pool.
The calculator says I have to shock to level 15, if I am doing this correctly?

Which means throwing in 9L of 6%bleach right?

Just wanted to check first to make sure I have that right.

When I went to the pool store to get something I brought in a water sample. The owner did her tests (using the same taylor test kit btw) and told me I need to shock the pool and get rid of the combined chlorine. She gave me a pack of something called "swat", told me to sprinkle in the pool, and add more CYA.

aqualicious said:
I guess where I get confused is with the CYA level....and how it says to be careful if the level is truly 0...

If I can't test the CYA for another week...what level do I put it at?
About 24 hours after it has dissolved, you should 'assume' it is in the water and use that as your CYA level when determing your chlorine levels.

See the Chlorine/CYA Chart in my sig.

does it have ingredients listed? I would try to take it back and just use bleach.
as long as your cc's are less than .5, you don't need to shock. but if you let your chlorine drop to 0 which it may have by now, you should.

Don't use it.

As stated by Reebok, the numbers you posted didn't look shock-worthy to me, so that's why I asked why you felt you needed to shock, if your water was cloudy etc.

So yes, now if your FC has sat at 0 since yesterday you probably should raise it up to 15 once just to play it safe.

Avoid that pool store, other than trying to return what she sold you . You don't need it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.