My first pool opening! VERY very nervous and need guidance :)

crocop

May 5, 2016
Toronto
Hi,

So last year I had a new house and new pool liner installed, it was my first year owning and I did not have to "open" the pool. I just filled it with fresh water and ran with it.

I closed it around October (in Toronto area), and the guy that closed it left a lot of leave in the pool. I also had a safety cover on it all winter. Never put in and chemicals or anything.

I took a peek whats under the cover last night..and its GREEN!! Very green! ughhhhh...:thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown:

I plan to take the cover off tonight, and before running the pump or anything, just spend 1-2 hours getting all the leaves and debris out. Once that is out and cleaned, can someone confirm these next steps for me:

1) re-connect all the mechanics and get the pump up and running
2) Test CYA (last year i was running my SWG pool with a CYA of 60)...it could be a bit less since I drained it out a few feet of water due to rain
3) test PH levels (get between 7.2 and 7.5)
4) SLAM (with a FC of 24 if CYA is 60).

Anything else I want to do? I will post pics along the way and post up here...

We love to see green-to-clean stories. Lots of pictures, please!

Remember, a SLAM is easier at lower CYA levels, so hold off raising it until after you SLAM.

Ah great tip! I was going to raise it back to 60 firsts...

Now im hoping I come in at like 40ish hehe

Question, should I just keep the SWG off until SLAM is done and i'm up and running?

So I just did a test, mind you, I did not run the pump at all since there is a leak near my SWG I need to tighten. I picked out some leaves and through that process I mixed the water a bit.

I was getting a CYA reading of 30 and PH of 8.0 , maybe more , the colour was pretty purple.

Is this reading accurate? Before I sl, do I need to get the Ph down? Can I add PH decreaser and chlorine on the same day?

How can my CYA be 30 if last year it was 60 and I only displaced maybe 2-3 feet of water?

Ugh this is frustrating

So I just did a test, mind you, I did not run the pump at all since there is a leak near my SWG I need to tighten. I picked out some leaves and through that process I mixed the water a bit.

I was getting a CYA reading of 30 and PH of 8.0 , maybe more , the colour was pretty purple.

Is this reading accurate? Before I sl, do I need to get the Ph down? Can I add PH decreaser and chlorine on the same day?

How can my CYA be 30 if last year it was 60 and I only displaced maybe 2-3 feet of water?

Ugh this is frustrating
I would suspect those readings are pretty accurate if you've had the pole thrashing around in there chasing leaves. If you do a little math you'll probably find your pool's average depth is really only in the 4-5 foot range, so what you describe makes perfect sense.

30 CYA is ideal for SLAM Process the pool to get rid of the green. You're lucky. You can raise the CYA and the salt afterwards. First get it clean.

Yes, you can adjust pH and add bleach the same day. With the pump running, half an hour is plenty of time to let things mix between chemicals.

No matter what else, nothing is going to happen until you can run the pump and filter. You must have circulation and you will need to filter out dead algae and you will need to vacuum.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.