Should I add a metal agent?

Nothing you have said recently suggests copper problems. You have algae, as confirmed by the overnight FC loss earlier and the cloudy water. Copper wouldn't cause either of those symptoms. The pool as a whole will look blue to some extent, with or without copper, but a small vial of water will look clear or perhaps a cloudy gray or green from the algae.

Thanks once again jason.

I retested my cya this am and I am somewhat confused at the results. On mon when I did the 1st test I could see a shadow of the dot at about 52 and then positive at approx 48, so I have been shocking with a cya of 50. Today I thought I could still see a shadow of the dot at least till approx 55 and then positive at 60.

Would I be ok to use 60 as my cya and therefore raise my shock level to 24, or continue at 20, or retest my cya?

FC only dropped from 20 to 19 last night! :party: (read your post very late last night frustratedpoolmom so I kept it at 20).
Retested my cya this am and I still think it may be closer to 60 than 50, but with fc holding thats a good sign, right?

I can see about 1/3 down the sides and easily see the brush when brushing the bottom. However when brushing this am I found what looked like clumps of algae lurking behind the pool steps. :grrrr: Plan to brush more diligently today. I also brushed up some ?dead algae in the center, so guess I should vac.

My water is not clear yet, but improved. Is it ok to keep at shock level until at least tommorrow to be sure I got it all? Or would you keep it longer? Guess I also need a HUGE dose of pop to let the filter do its thing.

Yeah, keep it at shock one more day, and let the filter get to clearing. FC holding is a great sign you are in the home stretch. Dead algae can be confused with live algae, so I would just vacume it up it's probably not alive if your FC held, probably just dead algae or dirt.

If you aren't seeing clarity you would like you can try adding a little DE to the filter. There are instructions in Pool School.

If you find its metal, then go to www.poolgeek.com and type in robarb metalmaster. That is what I use in my pool and its WAY cheaper than anything I have found. I have iron & copper in my water and this stuff works great and its really cheap.

Not sure if that helps ya, but at lease the metal sequesterant cant hurt anything.

Good luck. :cheers:

I can see the bottom!! :whoot: Yesterday we had rain all day, pouring. So i turned off my pump to give it a rest since my fc was dropping after shocking, and I went out this evening and I could see the entire bottom! Mind you I still have a way to go, but its not that blue/grey/cloudy water. We vacuumed a lot of dirt and still some leaves, and I also found several big hunks of shingles off our building. (really got to get a winter cover this year). This is the first time I have seen the entire bottom well enough to know what I was vacuuming.

I have been fighting this thing since approx the end of april, and messed up using all the wrong chemicals which just prolonged all my problems including a possible metal problem after adding an algecide twice and a cya level of approx 60.
And if there ever was a skeptic about adding bleach, or ordering the tf test kit, or even this site it was me!! But the information given was just too consistent and I wasn't getting anywhere the other way. :oops:

I would have never ever ever brought my fc to 20 or more if it had not been for the info on this site, especially from frustratedpoolmom and jasonlion. Thanks guys! So when I get to that crystal clear point I will post a picture.

OK. So I'm back to the same question I was when I started this thread. As you can see from my above post, my overnight fc loss on 7/3 was only 1, so on 7/4 I let it drop out of shock level. There is a noticeable difference as you can see by my pics below, but still cannot get it clear, water is blue.

If I turn off the pump for 24hrs or so I can see the bottom, and I think I stated earlier that I could see sand/dead algae. Got all the pieces of shingles out. My dtr got in yesterday and said the bottom feels in places like dirt/sand, but overall good. Do you think its still just dead algae I need to get out?

We vacuumed yesterday and I brought my fc up to shock last night just to see if it would make a difference but don't see any this am. Here are my stats as of sunday am:

FC 7.5
CC 0.5
TC 8.0
TA 80
PH 7.6
CYA 60

This is what it looks like now:
[img]http://i785.photobucket.com/albums/yy136/bwiley47/july9006.jpg[/img]

It's probably just a case of everything is dead and the filter needs to clear it, which can take a LONG time with sand filters.

You can try it a couple of ways....shut the filter off overnight, let it all settle and in the morning, vacume VERY slowly. Or keep brushing several times a day to keep everything stirred up so the filter can clear it.

I would try adding DE to the filter - there are instructions for doing that in Pool School. Members report excellent results with it. :goodjob:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well, I,m still blue and not sparkling. :(
We added all new filter sand on monday, (correct amt this time) :oops:
The water looks so much cleaner now, and I can see the bottom even when filter is running. I have been brushing and added a skimmer sock, getting some gunk, but not as much! Able to keep sock on for overnight now instead of just 10 minutes.

Took a water sample to the pool store today to check for metals, (got the husband to take it in while I waited outside), they say 0 copper, but told him to add 4 lbs of calcium hardness! (Thats when I told him not in a vinyl pool).

I'm sooooo envious of tabicat's success. Only 5 days, and it looks that good!

We did replace the old filter gauge, but I don't know what good it did. It was leaking around it and now there is water inside the glass of the gauge, that is why I haven't added DE since the instructions say to monitor gauge during adding.

I don't care if it takes me till the day before time to close, this water will sparkle!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.