cya in direct sunlight

Oct 31, 2008
i saw in pool school that with swg or pools in direct sunlight should run cya up higher. my pool is in direct sun most of the day my CYA 40 , KEEP CHLORINE LEVEL AROUND 7 BUT I CONTINUALLY HAVE PROBLEM WITH ALGEA . just found out this morning ph has dropped really low to 6.8 no problem til now this season with ph .I NEED A LITTLE HELP, THANKS

Can you post a full set of test results?

If you ph is that low, you need to raise it up with Borax to around 7.4. Use the Pool Calculator.

How are you testing your water?

If you are seeing visible algae, you usually need to shock your pool. Can you describe it? What color is your water?

If you are not keeping your FC levels ABOVE the "Min" for your CYA at all times, algae can easily take hold. But if you always have your FC at 7, something isn't right. Either you have more CYA than you think or it's not algae?

Give us some more info and we can help you figure this out. :wink:

If the pH dropped low, then I suspect that the source of chlorine is Trichlor pucks/tabs and if that is the case then the Cyanuric Acid (CYA) may be higher than you think. If the CYA level came from a pool store measurement, then it could very well be wrong. Pool store are notorious for not doing this test correctly. As was already asked, what is your source of chlorine? What kind of test kit are you using or are the numbers from a pool store?

ph 6.8, cya 40, ta 100, fc 7, i bought my test kit from this site, . my water appears clear from above , when i brush their is greenish cloud that comes up. i used the pool calculator for borax, applied yesterday now today ph way on the other end 8.2, i am getting frustrated.

What is your pool size?

Actually, now's a good time to add a signature with all your info.

Go to User Control Panel, then Profile, then Edit Signature. Enter the type of pool, the size, the surface, your pump info, filter info anything else you may have in the setup. You are allowed 5 lines of text.

You must have calculated wrong, entered the wrong numbers somehow - or your PH wasn't 6.8.

You'll need some muratic acid now, to lower it back down to 7.5.

Please update your information so I can confirm how much you should add.

Anytime you are unsure of the numbers/amounts post here and we can help you before you add too much of something.

I understand your frustration, all this new info can be a bit overwhelming.

On the kit- this site doesn't sell kits. We recommend two kits, did you get the TF-100 from TFtestkits.net?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.