"High Salt" error question

Jun 27, 2009
I recently replaced my SWG cell. The old cell was 5 years old and slowly stopped working which I think is expected. When I replaced the cell my salt was at 1100 PPM so I added 8 bags of salt (it's been awhile). Now it says I'm at 3300 PPM which should be fine but the "High Salt" error light comes on within a few minutes of operating the pump. I took the water to get tested and they said it was at 3200 PPM which is considered ideal (manual says 2700-3400). Is this most likely a defective cell? Is it the cell the measures PPM or something else? Any suggestions on other things to check are appreciated.

Thanks for the suggestion but no luck. I turned the filter off, unplugged the cell for a minute and tried again. "Generating" light comes on for about a minute (maybe less) and then says "High Salt". Next I tried turning off the power by flipping the breaker but it had the same result. I'll call the people I bought the cell from on Monday. I might trying getting the salt down to 3000 just to see if it makes any difference. Just hate to drain water if it's the cell that's messed up. Oh well.

This may not help much but usually, SWGs will generate a high salt warning when the current gets above a certain threshold. Of course, high salt generates high current so they are related. 3300 ppm shouldn't generate an error but you may be seeing an average salt level. I'm not sure what type of unit you have but some will display both instantaneous and average but it is usually the average which is shown in the display and it is the instantaneous current/salt which will trip the warning light.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.