Late startup

Morning all and Happy 4th,,,

Do you all get holiday pay for your efforts... :goodjob:

So after a nights mixing of the bleach addition~ 572 oz. here are the a.m. readings
pH= 8.2
FC= 12ppm
CC=.5
TC= 12.5
T/A= 130
CYA = I could see that black dot from the roof of the house....obviously hasn't been addressed yet

Thoughts of those wiser than me???

Jon

Well, the fact your chlorine is still high is a good sign. :goodjob:

Are there still tablets in the pool? The tablets aren't going to build up the CYA quick enough. You never added CYA separately? If you did, it takes a week before it fully dissolves and registers on tests.

When the FC drops below 10, recheck the PH. If there are tablets in the pool, they will lower the PH level. If there aren't tablets, you need to lower the PH to 7.6 with acid.

Hi,

No tabs in the pool. I just got some CYA and in trying to calculate the amount to add the question is what actually is my 'now'? All I really know is that it is >20. Should I use 20 and target 40 or assume zero and go for 40?

Thanks,

JH

hillerji said:
Hi,

No tabs in the pool. I just got some CYA and in trying to calculate the amount to add the question is what actually is my 'now'? All I really know is that it is >20. Should I use 20 and target 40 or assume zero and go for 40?

Thanks,

JH
With CYA, err on the low side :wink: Assume 20 and target 40. You can adjust up later easily.

Thanks Bfly,

Will do, actually I have 'the sock' w/ ~ 36 oz hanging in front of return and doing it's thing.
Thanks for your help. I now have to go off and leave it for a week w/ minimal assistance while gone.

Hi all,

Back from a week away from the pool and it didn't disintegrate on me and am now ready to care for it closely.
It seems that I cant' keep chlorine available overnight because and early morning check will show low or no levels.
This morning,

Chlorine w/ the quickie tester ~0.5 after 32 oz addition
Ph 7.5
TA 120
CYA 45

I was happy to see that I was getting some CYA numbers as early on I couldn't make that dot disappear. So, any thoughts on how to get the Chlorine to sustain itself? I've been adding it in the a.m but maybe should shift to evening?

Thanks for any and all advice. This site is awesome.

JH

Yes, shift to evening. You want to add enough each night, so that by the next night your FC is above the "min" for your CYA level. So shoot for the "target" as your goal for dosing....and by 24 hours if your not above the min, increase the "target" by 1ppm and see if that keeps you above the "min".

Either way, tonight perform an Overnight FC Loss Test, and ensure that there's nothing else going on. How does the water look?

Hi Mom,

Thanks, I will make the switch and do the loss test.
The water looks good as it has but does it make sense that as the CYA has started to show some recordable levels that it has gotten even better looking? It has been clear but with a bit of a greenish tint. This will be great when I can get it tweaked so that it will become just the 5 minute touch and go status.

Thanks again,

JH

Mom,

A follow up in a little different direction. As noted on my sig there is a Hayward heater inline that quite frankly I may never use. I thought I remembered reading something about that creating some havoc somehow. Is this a concern? If so I wouldn't have a problem plumbing around it and shuttering the thing right off.

Gracias,

JH

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
hillerji said:
Hi Mom,

Thanks, I will make the switch and do the loss test.
The water looks good as it has but does it make sense that as the CYA has started to show some recordable levels that it has gotten even better looking? It has been clear but with a bit of a greenish tint. This will be great when I can get it tweaked so that it will become just the 5 minute touch and go status.

Thanks again,

JH

Yes, it makes sense, the FC holds better during the day with CYA, so it's more effective instead of being completely destroyed by sunlight.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.